Spinach in cream sauce or casserole?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

giggler

Sous Chef
Is there a way to make a very fast creamed spinach dish? I have froze chopped spinach, canned bread crumbs and milk..

coulud I just steam the spinach, add bread crumbs and cover with white sauce and herbs, maybe a bit of parmesion cheese?

Thanks, Eric, Austin tx.

Sure, that sounds like creamed spinach to me - except for the bread crumbs. I don't remember seeing that as part of the dish. If you want to use them, I would make the creamed spinach, then top it with buttered bread crumbs and put it under the broiler to brown and crisp.

Last edited:
Hi Eric. You shouldn't need to steam the spinach first, it's already been cooked. Also, make sure you squeeze as much water out of the spinach as you can.

I would make a roux of equal parts butter and flour, add the milk (not sure how much spinach you're using so it's hard to say how much flour, butter, and milk) stir over med heat until thickened. Pour over spinach, bake till heated through. And yes, parm would be great in this.

Like GG said, I would sprinkle the bread crumbs on the top rather than mixing it in.

Last edited:
Ah, you're right about it being cooked already, Cheryl. I think I thought he meant to steam it in order to thaw it. The microwave would probably work better for that, though.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom