Spicy Turkey Stew

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kezlehan

Senior Cook
Absolutely love this. I serve mine with a salad, but it's also nice with rice, cous cous or a jacket potato! (Or anything else you might want!)

Serves 3/4

Ingredients

Light spraying oil
1 large onion very finely chopped
1tbsp ground coriander
1tsp ground cardamom
1tsp crushed fennel seeds
400g can chopped tomatoes
1tsp salt
1tsp sugar
2tbsp cranberry sauce
150ml water
450g turkey diced breast

Method

1. Spray a large pan with a couple of sprays and gently heat.
2. Sauté the onion over a gentle heat until softened.
3. Add the coriander, cardamom and fennel seeds and fry for 1 minute.
4. Add the tomatoes and their juice, salt, sugar, cranberry sauce, water and turkey and bring to the boil.
5. Transfer to a casserole dish and cook in a preheated 180°C/350°F/Gas 4 oven for 45 minutes-1 hour, stirring once.

I worked this out at about 240 calories if you cook for 3.

I could literally live off of this I love it so much. Hope you enjoy!

It sounds wonderful, Kezlehan, and a good way to use up our Thanksgiving leftovers! Thanks!

Turkey is on the menu for tomorrow. I think this would be a wonderful way to use up some of the remaining tomatoes from the garden. Thanks! The ingredient I'm missing is cranberry sauce. I have cranberry salsa to go with the turkey...so I might skip the cranberry sauce--not sure how fennel would go with the salsa...

You're all welcome! I might make this tonight! It truly is wonderful.
Hmm, fennel seeds and salsa? Well, I guess there's a first time for everything!
Hope you all enjoy it, be sure to let me know what you think if you try it!

Absolutely love this. I serve mine with a salad, but it's also nice with rice, cous cous or a jacket potato! (Or anything else you might want!)

Serves 3/4

Ingredients

Light spraying oil
1 large onion very finely chopped
1tbsp ground coriander
1tsp ground cardamom
1tsp crushed fennel seeds
400g can chopped tomatoes
1tsp salt
1tsp sugar
2tbsp cranberry sauce
150ml water
450g turkey diced breast

Method

1. Spray a large pan with a couple of sprays and gently heat.
2. Sauté the onion over a gentle heat until softened.
3. Add the coriander, cardamom and fennel seeds and fry for 1 minute.
4. Add the tomatoes and their juice, salt, sugar, cranberry sauce, water and turkey and bring to the boil.
5. Transfer to a casserole dish and cook in a preheated 180°C/350°F/Gas 4 oven for 45 minutes-1 hour, stirring once.

I worked this out at about 240 calories if you cook for 3.

I could literally live off of this I love it so much. Hope you enjoy!

This is lovely--I changed it up a bit. I used about 2 T of homemade turkey stock in which to saute the onion and the spices. I also added 1/4 c of the onions I roasted last night (see Bolas' post re: making onion base in the crockpot). I added 1/2 tsp of crushed red pepper that I had in the freezer, 1/2 c rice, 1 c chick peas, and 1 c frozen broccoli. Skipped the sugar since I was using my own tomatoes and sauce. I used Kosher salt. And, I used yellow heritage tomatoes, but because I didn't have enough, I added 1/2 c roasted tomato sauce (about the consistency of paste made from red Romas). I also subbed 1 c turkey stock for the water and simmered it on the stovetop for 45 minutes until the rice was done. Very tasty. I topped it with freshly chopped fennel fronds instead of cilantro. I think your estimate re: number of servings is wrong--in this house, this will serve 1.

I'll make this again!

Last edited:
Glad you enjoyed it!
This serves 3 of us when served with something else such as salad, rice, jacket potato etc...

Glad you enjoyed it!
This serves 3 of us when served with something else such as salad, rice, jacket potato etc...
Since I added rice and garbanzo beans to the stew, I didn't go with anything else. The problem was, it was so good, I couldn't stop eating it!

Back
Top Bottom