Spice/herb strainer in non-stick pot

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ccj

Assistant Cook
Hi everyone,

Have been looking for something to contain herbs/spices when I cook in a non-stick pot. However, have only been able to find stainless steel mesh infuser which will scratch the nonstick pot. Wondering if anyone has any tips on what can be used in this case? Am hoping to contain the herbs/spices so that I don't have to pick them up and separate them from whatever I am cooking before I serve.

Looking forward to hearing your ideas :)

Thanks,
Ccj

You can also wrap it up in gauze bandage, that's what I've seen a few people using. Or just tie the herbs up with a cooking string and then pull that up when needed.

Lol, I'm with cookie.

Everyone has unused gauze bandages around, often for years. Like we're gonna perform some M*A*S*H* kind of surgery on someone someday.

Using old gauze as a pouch works for me.

Cheese cloth, gauze pads, muslin bags, kitchen string.

I should think that metal infuser was originally for tea, not spices.

Cheese cloth has gaps that are too large. It can be used, but it takes a number of layers or there will be stuff getting out through the gaps. Of course, if it is only larger pieces like whole or half bay leaves and sprigs of fresh herbs, a single layer should work. But, I wouldn't count on getting all the peppercorns to stay in the cheese cloth.

I gave up on cheesecloth a long time ago. I use cotton men's handkerchiefs for my straining needs.

I've always had cheesecloths on hand for straining jellies, cheese curds (hence the name?), pickle spices and other such delicate things.

Have never heard of using just one layer, always several. By its very nature lets things drain quickly and not clog up yet still catch the itty bitty's.

Thank you!

Thanks everyone for the suggestions! Great ideas! Will try them out :) Am glad to find this online community!

I guess the Chief's fishnets wouldn't work.

What? I didn't mean his stockings...

You're a funny guy! Fortunately, I have a sense of humor. The only fishnets I own are for catching crayfish, you know, traps. If I had crab traps, you;d be in danger of being caught, though as you live near a glowing river, with cement shoed occupants, I don't think you'd make good table fare.:LOL:

Didn't I hear that you used your wife's stockings to strain your wines through?

As for using cheesecloth, there are different weaves, and thread counts available. This is just one example- https://www.amazon.com/Cheesecloth-Unbleached-Organic-Strainer-Reusable/dp/B07DZT95K5 would suit straining needs for holding the herbs, an spices, making removal easy.

Seeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Hi everyone,

Have been looking for something to contain herbs/spices when I cook in a non-stick pot. However, have only been able to find stainless steel mesh infuser which will scratch the nonstick pot. Wondering if anyone has any tips on what can be used in this case? Am hoping to contain the herbs/spices so that I don't have to pick them up and separate them from whatever I am cooking before I serve.

Looking forward to hearing your ideas :)

Thanks,
Ccj
I've used an all-cotton athletic sock (a NEW one, of course) and a little sack made of cheesecloth. Both work well, but the cheesecloth sac, tied with cotton kitchen twine, is better. The steel mesh infuser (or even a tea ball) can be suspended from a bamboo skewer laid across the top of the pot so as to make no contact with the non-stick surface. Also, there are plastic-and-mesh coffee pods that you fill yourself rather than pay Keurig or Nespresso's high prices for their coffee pods. These might also work well. Let us know what you decide.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom