Spelling

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
French has their accents - which I think I heard somewhere they are going to try and phase them out. And umlauts, etc I have too many things going on at the same time - sometimes I even ignore spellcheck if I believe the word would be understood without correcting.

It used to be that the words that I misspekled would get highlated, I misspele a lopt, but recently, maybe a week or so it is not happening. I know I am making mistakes. What is going on?
Charlie. I added this to my browser. It is for most all browsers.
I found it superior to the standard spell checker that comes onboard with your browser. It's really smart. And it's easy.
Follow the link above and click on "Apps & Add-ons" at the top of the page. Then choose your browser.
I think you will like it.

Charlie. I added this to my browser. It is for most all browsers.
I found it superior to the standard spell checker that comes onboard with your browser. It's really smart. And it's easy.
Follow the link above and click on "Apps & Add-ons" at the top of the page. Then choose your browser.
I think you will like it.
That does look nifty. Too bad it doesn't seem to have Danish, Swedish, or Norwegian. The Danish and Swedish get used a lot with the built in FF spell checker, even though it has its problems.

When I misspell a word, my entire sentence gets underlined. Two words and the whole paragraph is underlined in red. Maybe somebody is trying to tell me something.

When I misspell a word, my entire sentence gets underlined. Two words and the whole paragraph is underlined in red. Maybe somebody is trying to tell me something.
I don't like it when not only words and sentences are underlined, but when the little boxes come up with the "did you mean" or "it would be better/more grammatical if" - trying to tell me that I don't know what I'm saying.

If I want to start a sentence with a conjunction, then that is what I want to do. And if I want to use an Oxford comma, then I will. I also don't want some internet site telling me that my frequently used "-" should be a comma. Or ( ) is more correct than [ ].

That does look nifty. Too bad it doesn't seem to have Danish, Swedish, or Norwegian. The Danish and Swedish get used a lot with the built in FF spell checker, even though it has its problems.
I did not look at languages. I just added it and like it pretty well. Very different from the standard browser spell checker. But there are a couple issues I will address below.
I don't like it when not only words and sentences are underlined, but when the little boxes come up with the "did you mean" or "it would be better/more grammatical if" - trying to tell me that I don't know what I'm saying.

If I want to start a sentence with a conjunction, then that is what I want to do. And if I want to use an Oxford comma, then I will. I also don't want some internet site telling me that my frequently used "-" should be a comma. Or ( ) is more correct than [ ].
I agree and have found issue with my new add-on. First it flags for commas when no comma is required. And it will flag on other grammar text. Most of the time it's correct and is already improving my skills on the keyboard.
Thankfully when you do catch something you can change/address it to your preference. Like the standard spell checker you have your very own library.
I like it and wish I had it sooner.

My view is that if I write the way a grammar or suchlike site says I should, then it wouldn't be the me who I am, who is writing. I am who I am and what I am, and I write the way I write. Just as I speak the way I speak, and not the way some site tells me I should speak.

And because I speak Hebrew far more than I speak English now, when I am typing in English I don't want my train of thought interrupted by a pop up appearing telling me "that would be better if..." - because quite often I "lose" the word I need in English as it is - and I do not need my computer interrupting me while I am in full flow.

I occasionally comment on an article in one particular online newspaper, but the number of times I have had to delete what I was saying because of "don't you mean..." popping up, just turns the air blue.

I'm sure there's an option somewhere to turn those settings on and off.

I'm sure there's an option somewhere to turn those settings on and off.
I did try one of the grammar add-ons way back when, but quickly deleted it because of the continual pop-up corrections [or "suggestions" as they called them]. The only think I do have on my computer is the spellcheck which comes with Firefox, and haven't switched that off because it helps me remember the difference between UK and US spelling.

The only place where these pop-up "suggestions" happen now, and I have no choice in the matter, is on the online newspaper where I occasionally comment, and in that case they are the ones with the "suggestions", not an add-on on my computer, so there is no way of turning them off.

I thought I would post an update on this add-on. It works well but I have had to uninstall it and install it at least twice since I added it to tools. It stopped working in both cases.
I was prompted to restart my browser. I found it was easier to just open a new tab and perform the uninstall and reinstall.
That and the overzealous grammar flags are the only two issues I have encountered.
I like it a lot.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom