Southern Biscuits...I need help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The easiest biscuit recipe:

Screen-Shot-2013-06-10-at-9.20.50-AM-300x158.png

My old Kentucky friend Malva Gay gave me her biscuit recipe and her secret to success was to bake the biscuits for 10 or 12 minutes at 400 degrees, and then she turned the broiler on to brown the tops. Makes pretty biscuits that are not dried out.

Don't turn your eyes away, she said, or you will have burnt biscuits.

Malva had a biscuit bowl, and she was a little puzzled that I didn't know what she was talking about. She used a big bowl that held a 5 pound bag of self rising flour. When she was ready to make biscuits, she made a well in the flour, and poured her buttermilk and oil into the well. Then, she gradually mixed enough of the flour into the biscuits til the dough was 'just right'. She pulled chunks of dough off, patted them into shape with floury hands, and set them on the pans.

Her husband said Malva's biscuits were so good because she always patted them out on his belly. And when she wanted to make donuts . . . .well, never mind.

Did she use liquid vegetable oil or laurd, I make a well also with the amount of flour : 2 3/4 cups , oil 1/2 cup , & 1 cup + a smidge more until The dough has the right texture, then I pull chunks of dough , hand roll & pat down gently in pan. Some people say use half laurd & half butter; they only become crumbly when I reheat them. I use White Lilly self rising flour, the rise beautifully , look & taste great; They only become crumbly when reheated.

I don't know if you are teasing or not but... For just Jeannie and myself here, I went to these a year or so ago.. I still do scratch for family visits, IF they want...

Ross

No teasing, honest. I can sometimes get these at the 99¢ Only store, and when they have them I stock up. They are quick and easy for things like breakfast biscuit sandwiches, biscuits and gravy, and as an accompaniment to a simple supper instead of dinner rolls.

No teasing, honest. I can sometimes get these at the 99¢ Only store, and when they have them I stock up. They are quick and easy for things like breakfast biscuit sandwiches, biscuits and gravy, and as an accompaniment to a simple supper instead of dinner rolls.

exactly... I buy the Grands frozen biscuits.. Usually on sale, in 2 or 3 different types, sometimes 20 to a package.. I can pop 2 for me, 1 for Jeannie in the oven with whatever is baking and we are good to go..

Ross

Just for kicks......

Got a craving for something donut like this morning, without the mixing and all that goes with it part.. :chef:

Googled "frozen biscuit uses" and came up with "Sugar Donuts"... hmmm.. Read a few offerings and decided on, I believe a Pillsbury recipe.. Simple, fun and a reasonably quick substitution..

Partially thaw biscuits, cut out a hole, dip in melted butter, roll in sugar, bake and.... Viola!!! .. It was fun and not bad at all... I'll do that again someday... :yum:

My mum used to take those biscuits where the dough comes in a tube to make donuts. She cut the hole out of the middle and deep fried them in oil, then sprinkled sugar or ice sugar on them. We loved them.

My mum used to take those biscuits where the dough comes in a tube to make donuts. She cut the hole out of the middle and deep fried them in oil, then sprinkled sugar or ice sugar on them. We loved them.

You don't have to cut out a hole, just poke a hole with your finger and stretch them out a little, from the hole out with 2 fingers.

Craig made us stop using the tube biscuits or the frozen ones because he said they started leaving a funky aftertaste in his mouth, even the crescents.

I'm lazy and a creature of habit. I just use Bisquick or Jiffy baking mix, and make drop biscuits.

But... although the directions say to use an ungreased pan, I always spray with cooking oil. It makes for easier cleaning, and doesn't affect the biscuits at all.

Bisquick actually makes pretty good biscuits. If I am going to cut them out instead of dropping them, I flour the board with Biscuick. One box and one spoon. So quick and easy.

Did she use liquid vegetable oil or laurd, I make a well also with the amount of flour : 2 3/4 cups , oil 1/2 cup , & 1 cup + a smidge more until The dough has the right texture, then I pull chunks of dough , hand roll & pat down gently in pan. Some people say use half laurd & half butter; they only become crumbly when I reheat them. I use White Lilly self rising flour, the rise beautifully , look & taste great; They only become crumbly when reheated.

I'm thinking that technique and oil are the two problems here.

Check out this video and recipe for biscuits: Our Best Ever Buttermilk Biscuit - Southern Living

Self rising flour, buttermilk and frozen shredded butter. Pay attention to the folding and rolling process. In my experience this is key to building flaky layers, rather than crumbles.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d348FGXomg0

Last edited:
I would like to make some southern biscuits using these ingredients but I don't know how much to use of each. Any ideas? Then, after I roll them out, should I let them sit for awhile or bake them right away? Thanks for your help.

Enriched Wheat Flour
Carbonated Water
Shortening
Dry Buttermilk
Sugar
Baking Powder
(that's right...no salt, no trans fat)
If your baking powder is the same formula as ours (don't ask, I don't know) I think you should bake them immediately. I have a friend who freezes her biscuits/scones ("two nations divided by a common language") as soon as they are mixed and cut out to bake as she needs them. Passable but not the same as freshly made ones.

Hope that helps.

The easiest biscuit recipe:

Screen-Shot-2013-06-10-at-9.20.50-AM-300x158.png
Get thee behind me satan ;). My mother would come back to haunt me if I used anything like that!

It's so quick to make your own biscuits/scones that it isn't worth the expense to buy the pre-packed dough (and you have to find space in the recycling bin for the container).

I've been converted to this fool-proof, two ingredient method: stir together equal parts by weight self-rising flour (preferably a southern brand like Lily White) and heavy cream. That's it.

Cut into biscuits and bake 10-12 minutes @ 450F.

You can easily adjust the recipe by how many you want to make or how much of an ingredient you have. For example, I find 100g of each ingredient makes 4 medium biscuits; 150g makes 4 large biscuits. When I get to the end of the heavy cream container, I just pour that in the bowl first and add the same weight of s-r flour. If I'm low on the flour, I put it in the bowl first.

I set the scale to grams because it's easier to do the numbers that way. 100g is about 3 1/2 ounces. A cup of flour is usually between 115 and 150 grams depending on how vigorously you scoop it. 100g of cream is about 4.5/10th of a cup. Grams are definitely easier. All you need is a cheap kitchen scale.

Back
Top Bottom