Sous vide venison shoulder

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pepperhead212

Executive Chef
A couple of days ago, I got a venison shoulder from a friend, and rubbed it down with garlic, rosemary, and salt, and put it in a Foodsaver bag, and let it marinate 6 hours, before setting it in my sous vide for 12 hours at 135°, before smoking it for 4 hours. I took it to my friend's house yesterday, and everyone loved it, though it could have stayed in there longer - some sites had it being in the sous vide for 24 hours, so I'll try that next time. The very center, while it was fairly tender, it could have used more cooking, or cut thinner.
Venison shoulder, marinating overnight, to cook in this sous vide tomorrow. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Venison shoulder, after 12 hours on 135 degrees. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Something to smoke the venison with this time. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Smoking the venison. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Smoked venison shoulder, after 12 hours sous vide. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Last edited:
Holy moly, nicely done, pepp. That looks fantastic! How did you serve it? I mean, with what sides, or sauces, and so on?

bucky, My friend made a batch of dal as a filler - his Mom is Indian, so he's half Indian, and likes to cook. I made a sauce that I took over - a simple tomatillo sauce, which is just a small clove of garlic (I almost never say that!) to 2 c grilled tomatillos, plus toasted chile de árbols to taste (the original recipe called for 9, but I only put 4 Thai peppers, which was still quite hot. She said it tasted like a lot of chutneys she gets, with the tartness of the tomatillos. They had a sweeter chutney, but everyone liked the tomatillos better - lets the flavor of the meat show better. I took a bunch of it home to make a soup with today (he's smoking some more over there today!).

That sounds awesome. I've never cooked with tomatillos before. I'm gonna have to try thrm someday.

I need new friends.

With meat.

That sounds awesome. I've never cooked with tomatillos before. I'm gonna have to try thrm someday.

I need new friends.

With meat.

BT, I have a chili verde recipe that includes fresh and roasted tomatillos if you're interested.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom