Sourdough WW bran bread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pepperhead212

Executive Chef
This isn't getting baked today, but I got the ball rolling last night, when I got the firm starter from the fridge refreshed overnight, then made a firm WW starter this morning, along with a soaker, with some bran and flax seeds added, to let them sit today. The starter developed a great aroma in 7 hours, with only 10 g of starter to 270 g total. I'll make the dough tonight, and refrigerate it overnight, and bake tomorrow. I'll post the photos and recipe tomorrow.

Here's the recipe, and the photos. The bread came out good, but not enough sour flavor. Next time I'll up the times for the starter and leave out the small amount of yeast I put in there; the starter was only refreshed once, so I wasn't sure that it had enough power.

Whole Wheat Hearth Bread

Starter

95 g - (about 1 3/4c0 water, filtered or bottled
17c (about 1 tb) firm starter
158 g (about 1 3/8 c) WW flour

Mix all these ingredients together by hand, rolling into a rope, folding up, and re-rolling - at first it seems dry, but eventually, it will all come together. Place in a quart bowl, cover, and let sit at room temp 8-10 hours, or overnight.
Before rising:
IMG_20190108_170619661 by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Soaker

Mix together in about a 2 qt bowl:
128 g (1 c) WW flour
128 g (2 c) wheat bran
340 g (about 1 1/2 c) water, filtered

Mix well, cover, and let sit at room temp 8-10 hours.
Before soaking:
IMG_20190108_174805127 by pepperhead212, on Flickr

On bake day-

In mixing bowl, with dough hook, combine:

Soaker and starter
113 c (1/2 c) water, filtered
43 g (1 1/2 tb) honey
1/2 tsp yeast
28 g (2 tb) vegetable oil
18 g (2 tb) wheat gluten
16 g (2 tsp) salt
227 g (about 1 3/4 c) WW flour (reserve 1/4 c of this, to add, as needed, if too wet.

I mixed on 3 1/2 here, to combine all of the ingredients, then on 2 for 8 min.
dough finished kneading:
Dough finished kneading. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Now, I rose the dough at room temp for 2 hours (didn't rise much during this time), then on my back porch - about 46º, so slightly warmer than the fridge, which is good for sourdough. There is stayed for 8 hours, and more than doubled (I'll go longer next time, since it wasn't as sour as I'd like).
Finished rising on porch:
Dough finished rising on back porch overnight,@~46°. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Remove bread from bowl, punch down, and shape into a ball, or whatever shape desired, placing in a banneton, a bowl lined with a flowered linen, or on a free form on the peel.
Ready for last rise. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Let rise until at least doubled in size, about 3 hours. Preheat oven to 500º for at least 30 min before baking, with a baking stone on the lower shelf, and a shallow pan under it for steam (I keep one just for this, as it gets warped).

Dust the risen loaf with coarse cornmeal.
After last rise, with coarse polenta sprinkled on, ready to turn onto the peel. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Turn loaf carefully onto the wooden peel (wooden peels are much better for this and placing pizza in ovens, but a metal peel is much better for removing them, or rotating the loaves). Open oven, slide the loaf onto the stone, and pour 1 c of water into the steam pan underneath.
On the stone, ready for baking. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Bake 10 min., then reduce heat to 425º, and bake 15 min. longer. Then, rotate the loaf, and bake 25 min. longer - loaf should measure 200º in the center. Remove, and cool on a rack.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom