Souped up Ramen Noodles - what do YOU add to make a whole meal (merged)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I know its reallly bad for you... but a college student sometimes just doesn't have time to cook a gourmet meal.

So I was wondering... what do you put in addition to instant noodles.. to give it a fuller feeling? I usually put chopped up ham, some basil and bean sprouts.... but i feel you can add so much more to it...

anyone suggestions? :chef:

I once read the ingredient list on a package of those things. I have never ingested one. :rolleyes:

I used to eat ramen noodles, until I saw how much sodium was in a cup of noodles. If I were you I would not use the seasoning packet, and make up your own seasoning. I am sure that would cut down on the amount of sodium. Maybe you can add some carrots and other vegetables you find in a chicken noodle soup. Add some chicken and then add the noodles and cook the noodles. Season with salt and pepper to taste and you have yourself a chicken noodle soup.

It's without a doubt that instant noodles is not going to make it to the top 10 list of the most healthy, wholesome foods! In many parts of Asia (where instant noodles originated from), the use of MSG as a flavor enhancer is common especially in take out foods and in most Chinese cuisine restaurants. Some brands of instant noodles specifically mention that 'no MSG is used' or 'less salt', so try to use those if you can.

Back to the original post question on ideas for a whole meal using instant noodles -
On the rare occasion that I do, I favor using the Tom Yam seasoning flavor(since I enjoy spicy food). I would add peeled shrimp and slices of fish (spanish mackerel) and straw mushrooms to the soup. To give it a more authentic Tom Yam taste, I also add a small piece of lemongrass and for an additional kick, a sliced red chilli.

I fixed thin sliced chicken breast marinated in Sriracha, honey, and soy sauce. I bet that would go good in some Ramen

I usually break them up a bit before cooking, drain, & then add them right into the stirfry at the end with whatever sauce/flavoring ingredients I'm using.
That's exactly what I do as well! I first throw out the seasoning pack that comes with the noodles. I let the seasonings in my stirfry also season the noodles. The variations are endless!

I get the beef ramen noodles and a can of armor chili cook the noodles according to package and add the chili and seasoning pack then sprinkle with some shredded cheddar cheese.

One of the news sights had an artical on ramen noodle dishes and it boiled down to (no pun intended) making almost pasta dish or noodle soup with them. Alfredo,marinara,pesto,cream with nuts etc.,Pho,add just about combo you want.Bacon and egg carbanara even.

My personal feeling is if your boiling water anyway why not just use good pasta. If time is the problem use fresh pasta. Dried Soba noodles cook in like a minute and are almost as cheap as ramen in asian markets.

There is way toomuch sodium in the pack to eat regularly so i would substitute canned or boxed lower sodium chick/beef broth.

My step-son really loves the Ramen Noodles but I know it is nutritionally void with too much salt. However, I like the idea of jazzing it up to make a meal out of it. i am going to try this recipe! Thanks!!

Chunks of chicken, cubed tofu, thinly sliced celery (for a little crunch), or mushroom pieces.

I had a lovely Ramen Noodle lunch today, & sodium be damned, I used the little packet - lol!! I had some leftover vegetables from last night's dinner (sliced Italian Romano Beans, corn kernels sliced off of fresh cobs, & diced red bell pepper) that I boiled along with the noodles & seasoning packet, & while it was cooking for 3 minutes, added 2 cloves of chopped garlic, one sliced scallion, & a spoonful of black bean paste & chili-garlic paste. Delicious!!

Ramen noodle soup was a standard meal in our house when someone was ill. My daughter always requested it when she wasn't feeling well, but it had to have veggies,(onions, carrots, peas) garlic, parsley and turmeric added, sometimes leftover meat was also added. I have to admit that if I am "under the weather" I find it comforting too!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom