Soup

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Maybe it’s here and I’ve missed it but a big pot of soup can last a week and be crazy cheap and filling to make. I like to use seasonal veggies I think that helps and I keep some in the freezer for the winter so I don’t have to buy less quality at higher priced later.

A beef soup bone or shank is a cheap cut and vegis but what’s on sale maybe even on reduced shelf if you make it pronto.

Yep. I made a pot of split pea soup from the meaty bone left from a baked ham (which also made several other meals too). I got about 6 quarts of soup from one bone and 2 lbs of dried peas. Some carrots, onion, and celery and that was most of the expense for a pot of soup that we ate from for a week, plus a half gallon that's still in the freezer for later. Add a loaf of onion pepper bread from the bread machine and we felt as if we were eating like kings. :yum:

Yep. I made a pot of split pea soup from the meaty bone left from a baked ham (which also made several other meals too). I got about 6 quarts of soup from one bone and 2 lbs of dried peas. Some carrots, onion, and celery and that was most of the expense for a pot of soup that we ate from for a week, plus a half gallon that's still in the freezer for later. Add a loaf of onion pepper bread from the bread machine and we felt as if we were eating like kings. :yum:

I love that satisfying feeling.

My favourite cheap - or, rather, budget - soups are Pasta e Fagioli, Minestrone, cabbage and potato soup Hungarian style, onion soup, Vichysoise lentil soup and carrot soup.

di reston

Enough is never as good as a feast Oscar Wilde

Split pea soup, a box dried yellow peas cost a 1 dollar and with that and onion I can do a cheap soup. But I tend to buy ham hock and pig feet, make broth with that, remove the meat and then do I soup with the broth and add peas.

I also make lentils soup, cheap and cheerful.

I have had a cold since Monday. All I wanted was soup. My Dad came down with the cold yesterday. I threw together a soup for him using chicken and turkey stock from the freezer, frozen mixed veggies, celery, onion, a bit of garlic, some wild rice I had in the freezer, and some stewed tomatoes I canned this fall. A sprig of fresh thyme, a fresh bay leaf, and some poultry seasoning. Quick and easy soup that is good for his cold.

We made chicken, vege, pasta soup within past couple of weeks using thighs that were $0.79 a pound, fresh and frozen veges. They had the skin and a good bit of fat, but I decided to use them to make cracklings. Cooked the chicken in broth from the pantry.

Cooked the skins in a skillet until they were nice and crisp over medium, medium high heat, then rendered the fat pieces over medium low to medium at end until I had crispy cracklings and lots of schmaltz. Poured out about half of the schmaltz for other uses, sauteed some chopped onion and garlic until soft and translucent in the remaining, then made a light blonde roux.

I also diced up some carrots, green beans, and 1 small yukon gold potato, plus pulled a couple of handfuls each of corn nibs and green peas out of freezer to defrost a bit.

When chicken was done, I pulled it out of broth and used the tongs and a fork to break up the pieces slightly so they would cool faster. I put the carrots in to cook for 5 minutes or so, then the green beans and potato pieces for about 5, and finally the frozen veges for 5-7 until all the veges were done. Add a couple of tablespoons of roux to the boiling soup to thicken the broth just slightly, add more roux if needed.

In the meanwhile, shred the chicken and add it to the pot.

DH wanted pasta, so I cooked up some datalini in a separate pot so as not to soak up all my broth. You could do it in the broth though if you want, you'll just have to add extra liquid at some point. You could also use orzo or elbows, or any other small pasta.

I just used salt and pepper, but I think I would add a bit of thyme next time.

I crumbled up the chicken skin and the bigger crackling pieces and sprinkled over the soup in the serving bowls, but I think I will keep the chicken skin pieces whole next time for more of an impact.

Attachments

• 2018-01-04 18.16.22.jpg
    2018-01-04 18.16.22.jpg
    40.6 KB · Views: 159
A neighbor, nice guy old Man Friedl. Lived at the end o the street. Used to let us dump our yard waste until the Army Corps Of engineers told him not to. The end of the street was actually falling off a cliff.

So one day he is out there so I decided to go down and talk with him. I cherish talking to old people.

He had a couple of rabbit cages and was throwing them out. Told me that was how they got their meat during the depression.

I liked talking to that old Man, he was still alive when I moved. I really did not want to move.

But really, depression cooking might be a good subject.

T

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom