Soup Season, anyone got any upcoming soup plans?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'm making a new soup recipe for lunch today. It sounds good and I have everything...well almost. I don't have any tortellini but I do have frozen Mini Wontons. I think they will be a fine replacement, maybe even better? Here's a link to the recipe: Easy Chicken Tortellini Soup Recipe -- Thinking soup will make a nice lunch as I'm thinking I'll make Corned Beef & Cabbage for dinner! :unsure:

Made a mushroom barley soup using my dried mushrooms. Have no idea how I calculated the quantities of dried for fresh.... took 1 hour to figure it out so think I got it right but have no idea how I got there.
Also spent 2.5 hours looking for the elusive little leftover package of barley. count running up and down the stairs looking for my stuff when I couldn't find DIL's stuff... a soup that should have taken 15 min. to prep and maybe 1 hour or more to simmer... so far it has been 4 hours. Waiting for the barley to finish, maybe another 40 min or so.
I know all about the time penalty for searching for stuff. We bought a bunch of extra pantry stuff at the beginning of the pandemic, like lots of people did. So, my pantry is now so stuffed that it can take quite a while to find stuff. I have to move everything on one shelf and look, then put it back and repeat for other shelves. Grrr. Also, there is stuff in the basement.
I'm making a new soup recipe for lunch today. It sounds good and I have everything...well almost. I don't have any tortellini but I do have frozen Mini Wontons. I think they will be a fine replacement, maybe even better? Here's a link to the recipe: Easy Chicken Tortellini Soup Recipe -- Thinking soup will make a nice lunch as I'm thinking I'll make Corned Beef & Cabbage for dinner! :unsure:
That soup does sound interesting. Let us know what you think of it. I'm just surprised that the miso is added so early and boiled. I was taught to always add miso at the last minute and don't let it boil.

taxy, my DIL and I have those big plastic bins in the pantry as well as the shelves. Unfortunately some of the bins are opaque. I write out lists and tape them on.
I should also make lists of what's on the shelves for in the kitchen as well. and beside my recipe area. Haven't done it yet, of course, but in the perfect world..... you know the story :innocent:

It was excellent. The wontons were perfect and I topped it with a few sprouts too.
IMG_6832.jpg

taxy, my DIL and I have those big plastic bins in the pantry as well as the shelves. Unfortunately some of the bins are opaque. I write out lists and tape them on.
I should also make lists of what's on the shelves for in the kitchen as well. and beside my recipe area. Haven't done it yet, of course, but in the perfect world..... you know the story :innocent:
Like many, I stocked up for the difficult times. I bought some of the large bins too, but they are pretty see thru. But, not wanting to mess up my pantry, I put them in the guest room closet. I haven't yet gotten to the point that I'm willing to let the supply dwindle.

Unfortunately, my extra space for pantry items is not on the same floor as the kitchen. I have stuff in the basement on shelving. It's near the chest freezer. And, my guest room is upstairs. Going up and down the stairs extra times really poops us out. Some days I decide what's for supper based on whether or not one of us feels that we won't get too pooped out getting something out of the downstairs freezer.

Who knew that when we got old, it would take so much more energy to go up and down the stairs. Now, I would really prefer everything on one level.

I love the look of 2-story homes, but we wanted to stick to one level for our dogs...and for our future needs. We ended up with a "bonus" room upstairs. I think it is the best of both worlds for us. We have single level living, but there's extra space for "stuff" upstairs.

Unfortunately, my extra space for pantry items is not on the same floor as the kitchen. I have stuff in the basement on shelving. It's near the chest freezer. And, my guest room is upstairs. Going up and down the stairs extra times really poops us out. Some days I decide what's for supper based on whether or not one of us feels that we won't get too pooped out getting something out of the downstairs freezer.

Who knew that when we got old, it would take so much more energy to go up and down the stairs. Now, I would really prefer everything on one level.
We have the same issue, Taxlady! I understand the feeling completely! :LOL:

I made another beef stew. It is one of our favorites around here!

I'm in the same boat. When I'm organized, I make a list of all the things I'll need to make a dinner and bring it up in one trip. Other times, I'm less organized. Last week I had to make 4 trips to complete a recipe.

I'm lucky I have most things I need in the kitchen, or the dining room, except things I will need from the freezer. Plus, I have maybe 15% of my dried chiles upstairs, but they're what I use the most - there are a lot more varieties downstairs, but only need those jars occasionally. Most things down there are for refilling upstairs containers. And everything I have down there is inventoried - something I do one tub or one shelf at a time.

I have a freezer in the bedroom. Put a pretty cloth over it and a mirror on the wall behind it. There's pantry food stored here and there. I don't need a list ... I need a map!

My storage in tthe kitchen is a little limited, so we have and additional pantry in part of the garage , which has been closed off and converted specifically into aa pantry with shelves , fridge and freezer.

We have more long term storage in the basement for excess canned stuff, grains and even baking stuff we dont use frequently, as not to take up prime real estate in the kitchen.

In the main garage I have all my garden excess. Garlic hanging on the walls, buckets of potatoes ( 4 varieties ), onions, shallots and squash ( spaghetti and butternut). The garage is insulated so never gets below 50F even on the worst winter cold stretch.

If I need to cook upstairs, I try to gather all ingredients and accessories, put them in a large wicker basket and carry it all upstairs. Like the Andy and taxy - doesn't always work.
I usually even bring my own sugars, etc. as my DIL's are either too high for me and too deep in the cupboards for me to safely get out, much less even find! Did I mention they are all in huge? and I mean huge, glass containers that I live in fear of dropping from the high cupboards.

I would love to have a cold room here. At the farm, had a fieldstone basement which had one section pretty much closed off from the rest - was perfect! Wines and root vegies.
Been eyeing my sons garage trying to figure out how to convince him to (like Larry) section of a piece for a cold room. Unfortunately it doesn't keep a constant temperature so would need to insulate and perhaps a small heater - just need to keep it above 35, and 40 would be ideal.
At the moment he likes all the space he has for his work area (and storage).

When I owned a duplex in town, I had a cold store room in my basement. It was off the living room. It had a window with one of those little, ventilation spinners. It was insulated. It was about 5' x 10', with shelves on all the walls. It was very handy.

Back to soup weather again, (It's been ridiculously hot for a week now, in this area!) so I'll be making some mushroom barley soup. Always a favorite of mine.

Back
Top Bottom