Soup Maker

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GilliAnne

Senior Cook
My son gave me one for Christmas a couple of years ago, but I haven't got round to using it yet. That's partly because I haven't had time and partly because it doesn't appear to give basic instructions, just 3 soup recipes, only 1 of which I can or want to eat.

Gillian

It wouldn't have been my choice of piece of equipment either, Kayelle, but my son loves to give gadgets, which he is keen for his recipients to use. So thanks for the link - several tasty sounding recipes there, with not too many weird ingredients. At least, the Leek and Potato soup didn't. Hopefully I can try it out sometime. I tend to be lazy with soup, but would really like to get into the way of making it from scratch.

It wouldn't have been my choice of piece of equipment either, Kayelle, but my son loves to give gadgets, which he is keen for his recipients to use.

That's funny. Sounds a bit like my brother. He still buys my parents birthday & Christmas presents. I haven't bought anything for them in 15+ years. They don't need stuff. One of the most recent items was The Food Lab Cookbook which my Mom asked if I could use/take it. My Mom didn't want to hurt his feelings by telling him to stop the gift giving.

I try to visit my parents in FL (I'm in MA) at least once per year if not more. I will also mail them a batch of homemade pinwheel cookies around the holidays or some garlic from my garden.

I love soups and stews in cold weather. But the best recipes involve roasting the vegetables / meat. This Soup Maker seems to just boil them.

In summer I like to make compound herb butters from fresh herbs. I freeze the butters in ice cube trays. In winter, I'll add a cube to a pot of soup or stew. Pretty tasty. The herb butters have strong flavor so I only fill the ice cube slots halfway.

That's funny. Sounds a bit like my brother. He still buys my parents birthday & Christmas presents. I haven't bought anything for them in 15+ years. They don't need stuff. One of the most recent items was The Food Lab Cookbook which my Mom asked if I could use/take it. My Mom didn't want to hurt his feelings by telling him to stop the gift giving.

I try to visit my parents in FL (I'm in MA) at least once per year if not more. I will also mail them a batch of homemade pinwheel cookies around the holidays or some garlic from my garden.

That's so true bb. The last thing we want is more "stuff". What we don't have and want, we just buy it. I appreciate the thoughts and you can never go wrong with mushy cards and flowers for me. :wub::flowers:

It wouldn't have been my choice of piece of equipment either, Kayelle, but my son loves to give gadgets, which he is keen for his recipients to use. So thanks for the link - several tasty sounding recipes there, with not too many weird ingredients. At least, the Leek and Potato soup didn't. Hopefully I can try it out sometime. I tend to be lazy with soup, but would really like to get into the way of making it from scratch.

They should re-gift it back to him until he gets its it.
I appreciate gifts I can use. Most gifts I receive I cannot use. Hence a basement full of cooking dreams. Also a kitchen with more counter top equipment that we do not have room for.
I hate gadgets and no matter what, I end up with a backpack that has cooler on it because my lovely SIL knows I love beer.
I appreciate the thought and purchase, but my wife told her I would never use it. She still got it and now it sits until I can find a backpacker that likes beer and actually backpacks. I never hike. Ever
You can see what i mean.

Lucky for me my wife always gets asked about gifts for on birthdays and Xmas.
I still get stuff I would never use.

Last edited:
soup maker

if i don't want to or cant be at home when i want to make soup or just want the be lazy. I use my slow cooker to make soup.

My son is autistic and when I don't use some gadget or other that he has given me, he complains that he got it for me for nothing. I think he inherits the buy a gadget for mum habit from his dad - you know, buy something 'useful' for my wife, especially something that I think is wonderful. Last Christmas was the first year hubby actually took any notice of my Christmas wish list and bought me something that was on it. Before that it was something 'useful' or he'd take me shopping and get me to choose - no surprises with that boy lol.

I do still want to try out the soup maker, although soup making for me usually just involves a packet and water. I do add veggies as well, especially bits of salad that fall out of a sandwich lol.

Gillian

Back
Top Bottom