Soup Ideas?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
@wulfy42 I haven't read all the way through all of your posts, but I assume that you cook for one.
In that case, simple is best.
Chicken Stock of choice
Cooked Wide Egg Noodles
Canned already cooked Chicken (I like the one from Costco best)
A handful of frozen vegetables of your choice
Seasoning of your choice

Simmer to warm everything through and "soups on".

chicken noodle soup.JPG

I personally do not care for Chicken Noodle Soup, but my DH goes nuts for this.

Last edited:
Wow! I have never heard of a roux in my life!! I just read up on it and will try it next time. I have flour and butter already. Maybe this is why some soups taste so good and I could never get the same flavor. Thank you so much (can't believe I'm 52 and never heard of that!!)

I grew up in cajun country, and a roux is cooking 101 down there. I can make everything from a simple blonde roux for a béchamel, to a chocolate (color) roux for gumbo.

Try it. It will add new options to your cooking. Remember these things, though: stir, stir, stir, and never walk away from a roux in progress. (y)

CD

Welcome, Wulfy!

While we're on the subject, I have a question about roux. I'm not a big fan of soups and all I usually make is my potato cheddar bacon soup. Now when I add the milk to it, I'm supposed to make a roux first to thicken the milk. The problem I have is, I add cheese to my soup and that seems to thicken the soup, usually way too much. I'm always adding water or milk the next day to thin my soup out. Is there a solution for this? What I've been adding is between 2 and 3 cups of shredded cheese. I just recently bought 2 small cans of Campbell's cheddar cheese soup to add the next time I make this.

Other than that, I like egg drop soup and split pea soup, but not enough to eat it for a week, so I'll buy those if I want them. I just don't have the room in my freezer to make a batch and then keep them frozen for a long period of time. It's always like playing jenga when I open my freezer after shopping. And I'm still trying to find a recipe for a thick bean soup.

So I have another question. What's the difference between green pea soup and split pea soup? Campbell's used to make a green pea soup that in my opinion was superior to their split pea soup.

Welcome, Wulfy!

While we're on the subject, I have a question about roux. I'm not a big fan of soups and all I usually make is my potato cheddar bacon soup. Now when I add the milk to it, I'm supposed to make a roux first to thicken the milk. The problem I have is, I add cheese to my soup and that seems to thicken the soup, usually way too much. I'm always adding water or milk the next day to thin my soup out. Is there a solution for this? What I've been adding is between 2 and 3 cups of shredded cheese. I just recently bought 2 small cans of Campbell's cheddar cheese soup to add the next time I make this.

Other than that, I like egg drop soup and split pea soup, but not enough to eat it for a week, so I'll buy those if I want them. I just don't have the room in my freezer to make a batch and then keep them frozen for a long period of time. It's always like playing jenga when I open my freezer after shopping. And I'm still trying to find a recipe for a thick bean soup.

So I have another question. What's the difference between green pea soup and split pea soup? Campbell's used to make a green pea soup that in my opinion was superior to their split pea soup.

Okay, a roux is a simple 50/50 mix of flour and fat. Once that is ready, add your milk a little at a time, bring it to a simmer, and add more until you get the thickness you want. That is a béchamel. If you are adding cheese, don't make your béchamel really thick. Then add your cheese -- real cheese, not cheese soup. There are other thickening agents in that cheese soup, possibly even a roux. If your cheese sauce is too thick, slowly add some more milk, and keep stirring.

The key to the process is to slowly add and stir, and testing thickness when it is right at a simmer. A good cheese sauce requires some patience and lots of stirring while adding things as needed.

CD

I need to add at least a cup of milk. Maybe I should add two cups.

Not looking for pity or anything here, but standing that long is probably not going to be doable. It's one of the reasons I'm not as fond of cooking as I used to be. I just can't stand and mix and chop stuff any more because of my back. It's also why I use the crock pot and oven a lot and why I'm a dump cook - just dump it all in and see what happens instead of adding ingredients one item at a time.

Well, I can certainly try that though. I've made roux before but maybe I didn't use enough milk. But now, does anyone have any suggestions for the cheese soup I have?

Soups, stews etc are much thicker when cold then when heated.
I would just coontiinue doing as you are. Add millk.

Personally, I would boil some pasta, mix with your soup.
Put in the oven, et volia, pasta bake :)

I kinda of make a tomato soup with dumplings. I make the tomato soup, then put a few tortellini in to give me something to fish around for.

Many soups I make will thicken when cooled an stored. Many times because the grains in them will continue to soak up the moisture, so when reheated, I often have to add a little more liquid to get it back to its original consistency .

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom