So what would you guys do with mushrooms that have a hint of almond smell/taste?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

larry_stewart

Master Chef
As some of you may know, from other threads, Ive been growing different varieties of mushrooms. Some are ones Ive had before (Oyster, Shiitake). For others, its a first time experience.

When comparing ( other than the shitake), the only differences other than what they look like, are the intensity of mushroom flavor and the consistency. Some are firmer, others more spongy. Some have a more chewy texture while others you can bite threw with minimal resistance.

This brings me to my latest mushroom, the Almond Agaricus - (Agaricus subrufescens). They have a slight hint of almond, the kind of scent and flavor you would get from almond extract, almond paste ...

Its not a bad flavor, but Im kinda stumped as what to doo with them that would take advantage of their flavor, yet not hijacking the dish or being out of place.

I did include some of them in my marinated mushrooms. In general , it worked out fine, but you know when you ate one cause you get that hint oof almond ( which does clash a little bit with the other flavors).

The flavor/ scent tis subtle, but recognizable.Its one of those things that you're not sure if you're smelling it or tasing it. Its really cool, I just want to figure out a way to use them. I checked the website where I got them from. They have a recipe section for the mushrooms variety kits they sell. And, for course, there are no recipes for these guys..

Google "Almond Agaricus recipes" without the quotes. A bunch of recipes pop up, some vegan/vegetarian, some not. If nothing else, might give you some ideas.

Cook separately and use as a garnish on other vegies... eg. asparagus. Maybe with an omlete?

Mild fish? chicken? over any gravy, not cooked in it, to help preserve the flavour?

I first thought chicken, or the equivalent in the vegetarian/vegan world. Like a chicken marsala. I often serve sautéed green grapes with almonds as a side dish for marsala.

of course, now that you guys are providing good ideas, I went out there and there are none left. Maybe next time it rains Ill get a second flush. Did pick one wine cap and 2 shiitakes today though.

Taxlady had a great suggestion--think of dishes that have almonds or other types of nuts in them, and use the mushrooms to either replace or enhance those flavors in the final product. A few suggestions off the top of my heads:

Thai Peanut Sauce
Romesco
Pesto

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom