Smoked turkey breast question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bosko

Sous Chef
How goes it!

I did a 3 pound breast 2 weeks ago and it came out pretty good cooked to 160 and then wrapped in foil and let it cool for slicing for sandwiches during the week.

I'm doing a 4.4 pounder tomorrow and I want to change it up.

Seems like smoking the whole cooking time provides too strong of a smoke flavor.
(for my wife).....never enough for me........;)

Should I pre bake in oven and then smoke....... for say 30% total cooking time, or do it in reverse........smoke and then bake until 160.
Thanks for advice and have a rockin weekend
B

Any Idea on time ratio.....if cooked at 225 for 4 hours..........do an hour on smoke or 1/3 time.
I know it is a matter of preference but I'm wondering if there is a set timeline most people follow

I'm not sure on that. If there was a set timeline most people follow, I would probably be way off from it. If it were me, and I was looking for a light smoke flavor I would smoke for 2, wrap it with butter and chicken stock till 160. A light flavored fruit wood might help you hit a happy medium between you and your wife's preference.

Can you burn charcoal in your smoker? Use wood then switch to charcoal. If not oven will work for second half of the cook, just don't tell anybody you did it like that!

I could.....but pre burn might add a very acidic flavor coming off raw coals
I guess I could throw it over to gas............I'll see
Thanks for replies........:supz:

I assume nick means switch to charcoal after you wrap em. no raw coal flavor, just heat.

Throw down, it's in the oven to finish under wraps
2zokyud.jpg

2j41ok4.jpg

dfizw6.jpg

2hqxqhl.jpg

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom