Slow cooking lamb leg

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dezeaz

Assistant Cook
Hi, I'm planning to slow cook a leg of lamb (slow cooker) to eventually add to a biryani. What would you recommend for the cook? I've done it years ago and was so tender but can't for the life of me remember how I did it.

Thanks

Welcome to the forum!

Though not done in a slow cooker, there is a classic French dish, called spoon leg of lamb, that I made for my Mom a number of times. I made it in an elongated Dutch oven, which fits a leg of lamb perfectly; if you have one of those elongated slow cookers, that would be good. It is first browned in the pan - if using a slow cooker, you'll want to brown it in a cast iron skillet, or something similar - then a few vegetables are added to the pan, to keep the meat off of the pan, some wine is added, as well as any seasonings desired, then the covered pan is baked in a 225° oven for 7 hours (not sure how long in a slow cooker - temperatures vary between models). The lamb is so tender that it can be served with a spoon, thus the name. The early slow cooker!

Hi and welcome to Discuss Cooking [emoji2]

So you're asking how to cook it, and not how to season it? Any method of slow, low-temperature cooking will make it tender. How long it will take depends on how big it is.

It's been a while since I've made one, but I had the butcher debone and butterfly the leg, so I could season the inside. Then I rolled it up, tied it with twine and roasted it in the oven. I'm guessing it was at 300 or so for several hours.

Hi and welcome to DC.

Just for the sake of conversation, I don't like my lamb well done so I can't offer any advice. I've purchased boneless New Zealand leg of lamb at Costco, and like GG, I lay it flat to season what will be the inside (garlic/rosemary/thyme/S&P) after it's rolled back up and tied, then I also season the outside. I roast it at high heat and use a remote oven thermometer, cooked to 130 degrees, resting for 1/2 hr. before slicing.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom