Slow Cooker Deep Dish Pizza (Chicago Style)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
tonic=you mix it with gin. Then again, I think that might be what is called "soda" up here. Soda to most of the country means CLUB soda, or unflavored sparkling water.

Not in these here parts. Tonic covers all soft drinks including Coca Cola, Pepsi, Orange, Mountain Dew tonic, etc.

Not in these here parts. Only Mozzy cheese and no sauce of any kind.

You seem to have more than one "white pizza" in those there parts.
2019-01-28-16-51-17.jpeg

Bubbler=drinking fountain. Also called a bubbler in MN? Not sure which state up that way uses the same name.
clicker=You got me here. Maybe a remote control?
Rotary=traffic circle. We had these back in OH.
grinder=sub, hoagie, hero
jimmies=candy sprinkles. Now is it the chocolate-only ones that are called jimmies, and the multi-colored ones called sprinkles? Or is it the other way around?
packie=package store, one that sells adult beverages for in-home consumption
tonic=you mix it with gin. Then again, I think that might be what is called "soda" up here. Soda to most of the country means CLUB soda, or unflavored sparkling water.
Thanks CG. I knew about "rotary" and grinder (but wasn't sure about that one).

Not in these here parts. Only Mozzy cheese and no sauce of any kind.

GG, during WWII, Eastie had a POW camp out at Wood Island Park. It held Italian soldiers that had fought for the Nazis. When the war ended, most of the POWs refused to return to Italy. They knew there was nothing but bombed out buildings. So instead they sent for their families. But the family members had to go through our own Ellis Island down on Marginal Street. (The building was torn down about two years ago. It was still in use 'til the 60's.) The women brought with them the recipe for pizza. It was our little secret until New York City decided to spread the word. Pizza shops started to open up all over this part of Boston and the North End.

So you're saying the first pizza sold in the United States was in Boston? Sorry, but NYC beat you by 40 years.
2019-01-28-16-54-52.jpg

So you're saying the first pizza sold in the United States was in Boston? Sorry, but NYC beat you by 40 years.
View attachment 33325

No pizza did not originate in Boston. We just kept quiet about it as our little secret. The POW were getting pizza before the end of the war. The few Italian women who lived here in East, made food from home when they could and bring it out to the prisoners. Most often it was pizza. Plenty of tomatoes available. from the Victory gardens that were in every back yard. Sometimes the topping was leftovers from the day before. But there was always the tomato sauce.

White pizza refers to the tomato sauce, not the ingredients placed on the top. No tomato sauce on a white pizza.
Addie. The pizza Cheryl described had no cheese at all, yet you said it was a white pizza. Then you said a white pizza has to have mozzarella.

Never mind.

No pizza did not originate in Boston. We just kept quiet about it as our little secret. The POW were getting pizza before the end of the war. The few Italian women who lived here in East, made food from home when they could and bring it out to the prisoners. Most often it was pizza. Plenty of tomatoes available. from the Victory gardens that were in every back yard. Sometimes the topping was leftovers from the day before. But there was always the tomato sauce.
It's not a secret if people in New York and New Jersey are eating the same thing.

My favorite deep dish pizza is offered by BJ’s Restaurant and Brewhouse. I order it with fresh tomatoes, garlic, sausage, black olives and anchovies. I really love the slight sweetness of the dough and how it’s offset by the salty anchovies. Is BJ’s just a West Coast thing?

Bubbler, clicker, rotary, grinder, jimmies, packie, and tonic aren't foreign words. And how else would you pronounce the town of Meh'fuh?

Its actually a "Click-ah"

And, although I grew up in Iowa, I use all of those words except "tonic". I call it soda. But lots of people around here don't. No one calls it pop.

My favorite deep dish pizza is offered by BJ’s Restaurant and Brewhouse. I order it with fresh tomatoes, garlic, sausage, black olives and anchovies. I really love the slight sweetness of the dough and how it’s offset by the salty anchovies. Is BJ’s just a West Coast thing?

Joel, I agree with you about BJ's Restaurant, and their deep dish is great. When my daughters, grandkids, and I all get together in Santa Clarita, BJ's is our go-to. :yum: They have great adult-y dishes and kids menus as well, so everyone is happy.

According to the location finder, they're spread out over the US. Here's their menu in case anyone is interested.

https://www.bjsrestaurants.com/menu

Have you had their signature pizookie dessert? :LOL: The salted caramel is my fave. :yum:

Attachments

• salted-caramel-pizookie.jpg
    salted-caramel-pizookie.jpg
    46.2 KB · Views: 116
Last edited:
Not in these here parts. Tonic covers all soft drinks including Coca Cola, Pepsi, Orange, Mountain Dew tonic, etc.

Down here, every carbonated soft drink falls under the blanket name, "Coke."

Let's go get a Coke could mean getting a Coke... or a Sprite, or a Dr. Pepper. Although, many people down here will draw a distinction when it comes to Dr. Pepper since Dr. Pepper is a somewhat sacred thing in Texas. Asking for a Mr. Pibb will lead to blank stares at best, or a lot of laughing, at worse. :LOL:

If you go to a restaurant that only carries Coca-Cola products, they will still have Dr. Pepper.

CD

BJ's is a national chain. We have a handful here in the Dallas area. Well, I think we do. GG, could you verify that for me? :rolleyes:

CD

There is one in Coral Springs, FL. We'll have to check it out.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom