Simple Apple Pancakes for those early mornings!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
When I make Swedish pancakes, which are like crepes, I use buckwheat flour. I tried it once and like the flavour, but even more importantly, it has never even tried to make any lumps.

I've never made Swedish pancakes, can you please share your recipe? If it's not a secret ;)
I don't have a recipe. I just mix buckwheat flour, eggs, milk, and a splash of oil until it's the right consistency - about as thick as coffee cream. I learned by watching my mother make them.

This recipe looks pretty good, but maybe we can get CakePoet to post an authentic recipe.

Pannkakor - Swedish Pancakes | Recipes by ParTASTE

When they are cooked, it is traditional to spread some strawberry jam on them and roll them up and sprinkle with sugar - either granulated or confectioner's sugar. It's a dessert.

Swedish pancakes.

250 ml plain flour
½ teaspoon of salt.
600 ml milk
3eggs
2 tablespoon melted butter.

Stovtop:
You need a pancake skillet, a straight pallet knife or spatula. In a bowl, whisk half of the milk and the flour to a paste., leave for 10-30 minutes. In another bowl whisk, egg, milk , salt and butter, add this to the milk/flour. Whisk smooth.

Heat the skillet add some butter, pour in about 50- 75 ml batter, it depends on your skillets size, form a thin flat pancake , fry until till the top is dull, now flip the pancake over and fry the other side for a minute. Yes, it hard but when you have perfect heat, know your skillet, it will be worth it. It makes 8- 10 pancakes.

Oven:
Turn the oven to 225 C. Butter a 25x 33 cm oven proof dish. Pour the batter in and bake for 20- 25 minutes.

In the waffle iron:
Well just make waffles, but this doesnt work in Belgian waffle iron, on the the thinner ones.

There few more things we Swede do with that batter but that is for another day.

Oh I forgot, Swedish pancakes are not dessert, nor are they dinner, they are what you want them to be.

So for dinner they are often served with applesauce or lingon jam and unsmoked bacon but for dessert they are served with sweeter jams like raspberry, cloud berries and whipped cream or icecream.

They can even be breakfast if you want to, or stack them with whipped cream and jam for a birthday cake.

Wrap them up with sauce Bolognese or a shrimp filling and add bit a of cheese on top and call them Weekday crepe.

The oven one can have thin slices of apple with or with cinnamon sugar or precooked bacon bits in the batter before baking.

Or the seventies horror of hotdogs, tomatoes and cheese, ugh that wasnt yummy.

The pancake waffles, can be served with lox or smoked meat and horseradish cream or what ever you want.

Your imagination is the limit of a Swedish pancake.

Now we havent even touched on what you can add to the batter....

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom