Shredded Beef

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chief Longwind Of The North

Certified/Certifiable
I have been making shredded beef for years, with no complaints from family members. My reciprump raste goes like this:

3 lb. beef roast, chuck, 7-bone, or rump roast.
1 yellow onion, chopped
2 tbs. chopped cilantro
/2 tsp, ground coriander
2 tsp. salt
2 tsp. ground cumin
favorite seasonings for shredded beef
Pressure cook for 40 minutes. Remove from the PC, let cool enough to handle and shred along wiht the onion. Put shredded beef back into the pot, but minus some of the broth so it's not too soupy, yet very moist. The onion nad cilantro is left in the shredded meat.

I don't add any tomato product, or peppers as DW sas she can't eat any kind of ppers, or even black, or white pepper.

So, what's your goto for shredded beef? DW wants me to make it like it's made at the taco shops in San Diego, CA.

Seeeeeya; Chnief Longwind of the North

I use top round -

heavy sear
4-5 hr beer&onion+ braise,

overnight in the fridge,

3-4 hr braise second day.

DSC_4838s.jpg
DSC_0364.jpg
DSC_1485.jpg

Last edited:
I must have eaten tacos in San Diego. Don't remember them though.
Tijuana, Ensenada, Carlsbad, Redondo Beach, Olvera Street etc. Yeah. Those aren't memories of a single style though.

Not a recipe but Possible inspiration --- Netflix - Taco Chronicles - "Barbacoa"

Can be made with beef, lamb, sheep, or goat. Often involves a hole in the ground and banana leaves but is adaptive to traditional cooking methods.

The best cut of beef for shredding is chuck roast. I use chuck roast in ALL of my shredded beef recipes such as Beef Barbacoa, Mississippi Pot, Traditional Pot Roast and Italian Beef with nothing but tender results.

For me if I'm going to shred beef its gonna be flank steak. The grain lends itself to easy shredding with two forks.
Its what we made Ropa Vieja with growing up.

I also use chuck roast for shedding. And cook it in the instant pot.

Agree on the chuck roast being the preferred cut for low and slow, or pressure cooking.

Pro tip: when shopping for chuck roasts, look for the smaller pieces that are tapered. These pieces actually have the chuck eye, which is really the end section of the ribeye. Buy as many of these as you can, then you can use the top section (which is basically a boneless shortrib) for the braising/stewing cooking process, and then grill or pan sear the eye. Chuck eyes are wonderful. In essence, you are getting boneless ribeyes for 1/4 to 1/3 the price.

Here's an article that explains it in depth, and also shows you what the cut will look like in the store so you can pick it out.

https://www.smokedbbqsource.com/what-is-chuck-eye-steak/

We call this shredded beef ... Italian Beef. The grocery stocks It Beef spice packets. There is another product called It Beef. It comes in a tub and is a shaved meat.

Last edited:
I have this great recipe for beef sandwiches. It's "somewhat" Italian but not really lol. It a staple in my household, I make it at least once a month. Usually there are leftovers for a couple days, it heats up well in the microwave too.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yummy🙂.

Isn't shredded beef also called Pulled Beef? Perhaps the term "pulled" is used when you use cuts with bone, so you literally "pull off" the meat from the bone, rather than just shredding the whole piece. It's curious because we actually call these sandwiches : "American-style sandwiches". If I'm not mistaken, apparently, Italian immigrants in Chicago started making these way back in 20s/30s. The precise origins are probably not known.

Back
Top Bottom