Show us your quiche!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

caseydog

Master Chef
I love quiche, and yes, I am a real man.

Quiche is one of those bare canvas dishes. It is basically eggs, cream, cheese and a pie crust. From there, you can do anything with it. King Chuck even had his chef's make one with beans for his coronation.

So, do you like quiche? Do you make it? What do you do with yours?

I'll start with the one I made a few days ago. It has a Texas thing going on. Crumbled breakfast sausage, pickled green chilis, a mix of cheddar and three Mexican cheeses. A few dashes of hot sauce before eating.

Quiche001.jpg

Quiche002.jpg

I showed you mine, now show me yours.

CD

The only quiche that I still make once a year during the holidays is this abomination from the 70s that uses French’s crispy fried onion rings. 🤭

I add the reserved onions to the top of the quiche before putting it into the oven.

It’s great with a simple salad and a glass or two of white wine.

I really like quiche, but I think about making it much more than I actually make it. I do make one every year after Thanksgiving with some leftover turkey, along with roasted red peppers and Havarti cheese.

I made quiche once. I didn't like it very much. Certainly not enough for the effort. But, now I'm wondering if it isn't just pretty much the same thing as a Danish æggekage - egg cake, but with a crust. If that's what it is, then why bother with the crust?

All the Danish egg cakes I just looked up compared it to a Frittata or a baked omelet.
Quiche - usually made with cream, a custard, savoury, with a crust
Frittata - usually just eggs, egg whites, no crust
Souffle - usually light and fluffy, no crust

and the list can go on and on...
Every time you add an ingredient or subtract one the name of the dish changes.
Even as to how it is cooked changes - you don't cook a quiche on the stove top without a crust - it then becomes a frittata.
As I said, list goes on and on...

Danish egg cake AKA Danish omelette, almost always has milk. It doesn't get flipped over and the old fashioned versions are done on the stove top. Some people make them on the stove top and then run them under the broiler, especially if they put grated cheese on top. There is often cheese in them.

Plus - I also think of a Quiche as with a lot of cheese. Much more so taste wise than some of the others.

You can make adjustments to the amount and style of cheese. There are certain classic quiches that are commonly found in recipe books and French bakeries, but the great thing about a quiche is that there so many ways to customize them.

CD

ohhhh, I'm weak in the knees and drooling.

My 3 favourite quiche's, not in any particular order, are Leek, Mushroom, Asparagus . Lots of cheese - gruyere and mascarpone. Some sort of ham is always a welcome addition.

I made a quiche last week that was very simple, just diced and sautéed onion and bell pepper, and a Mexican cheese blend. It was good with some hot salsa.

Last month, I made a diced SPAM and cheese quiche... I thought I posted it here, but can't find it.

CD

I like quiche but somehow I suck at making them. So I usually go with a fritatta or Spanish tortilla.

We ate at Les Deux Magots in Paris a few years ago and I had quiche that totally blew my mind. So very, very silky but still firm. So tasty. And the crust ….

Most quiche here does not compare, IMO.

I'm of the crustless camp, so I make frittatas more than anything else but....I do add cream to it. I love veggie frittatas. Cheese is in it, but not as much as many put in or on. I love frittatas and quiche, and typically fall into a habit of making them but then I fall out of the habits and months will pass before I make them again.

I'm of the crustless camp, so I make frittatas more than anything else but....I do add cream to it. I love veggie frittatas. Cheese is in it, but not as much as many put in or on. I love frittatas and quiche, and typically fall into a habit of making them but then I fall out of the habits and months will pass before I make them again.
That sort of thing happens to me. Then, something reminds of one of those dishes that we used to eat often, but then dropped away and I wonder what happened and start making it again. Now I have to wonder if that happens to lots of us.

I have almost no experience with quiche. I made one once and really did not enjoy it. It wasn't so bad that I threw it out, but I have never wanted to make one again. Unfortunately, I have never had quiche on any other occasion, so I don't know what they are supposed to be like.

I have almost no experience with quiche. I made one once and really did not enjoy it. It wasn't so bad that I threw it out, but I have never wanted to make one again. Unfortunately, I have never had quiche on any other occasion, so I don't know what they are supposed to be like.
Taxy, do you eat/enjoy homemade custard?

On another note, have you ever tried a microwave "puff" omelet? Quiche is way denser than the puff omelet, but something just brought them to mind. Maybe because they are not sweet like custard. Or how about the "impossible pie" savory dishes?

Do you think it worth the bother to find one you like? If not, that's okay too! :ROFLMAO: I do find them a nice "brunch" kind of meal...and they will serve a few people or enough for leftovers another day. Even from the freezer!

Back
Top Bottom