Shinkenspeck (English Bacon)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
G

Shinkenspeck
(Ham-Bacon)

From Great Sausage Recipes and Meat Curing by Rytek Kutas ~ 3rd Edition

shinkenspeck600vv4.jpg

Ingredients for 10 LBS.

2 ½ gallons ice water
⅔ cup salt
1 cup Instacure No. 1
½ cup powdered dextrose
½ cup ground white pepper
¼ cup ground juniper berries

As an extra fancy bacon, the Shinkenspeck requires a little extra work to produce. When finished, it will have the appearance of a rolled roast. A fresh bellie (fresh bacon) and lean leg of pork (fresh ham) are required. Notice in the photograph that the outside of this Shinkenspeck is a bellie and the center is a lean (ham) leg of pork. Both these meats are placed in a brine made by mixing the above ingredients. Remove to cooler for 5-6 days at 40º. After curing, this meat is allowed to drip dry before rolling into a roast.

The bacon is gently powdered with gelatin, the lean meat (ham) is placed inside it, and then the bacon is rolled around it and tied.

It is not a bad idea to smoke this ham-bacon by placing it into a small stockinette bag. When this is done, place into the smoke house at 135ºF until an internal temperature of 127-128ºF is reached. Smoke the bacon very lightly towards the end of the cycle. The smoke should be almost imperceptible.

Thanks Joker, guess I'll just have to buy the book, Funny thing is that Val had known Rytek Kutas when she was a kid, walked by the shop every day on her way to school.

Bryan S said:
[quote="Pigs On The Wing BBQ":2hkqermj]Thanks Joker, guess I'll just have to buy the book, Funny thing is that Val had known Rytek Kutas when she was a kid, walked by the shop every day on her way to school.
Man, That would have been an honor. [smilie=bowdown.gif] I would have loved to spend just one day with that man, to get inside his head and to reap in the knowledge. :D I have his 1st edition book. :P[/quote:2hkqermj]
I work with his nephew...

Re:

Pigs On The Wing BBQ said:
Thanks Joker, guess I'll just have to buy the book, Funny thing is that Val had known Rytek Kutas when she was a kid, walked by the shop every day on her way to school.

hmmm...thanks dud. 8)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom