Shape Shifting Pasta

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RCJoe

Senior Cook
News from Carnegie Mellon University in Pennsylvania.

A new development in the production of Pasta will allow it to change it's shape when boiled in water. Consider the Pasta isle in the grocery store
with all the many shapes pasta comes in. Now imagine that area much smaller with small boxes labeled as to what it will be once cooked.

It is still the same pasta, just manipulated differently in it's production such that it morphs into different shapes once in the hot water. It is made flat and scored then dried. Thus it can take up much less room in a box and then once on the shelf.

Take a look at the video: (and this may just be the beginning of shapes to come)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PNsJ0IE2y6g

OMG! I will be buying new pots with glass tops so I can watch it cook. My time sink will be truly complete. I mean, I have watched the entire wash cycle and drying because I have glass doors now.

Consider a 5X8X3 box of Rotini or Bow Tie noodles condensed to a 5X2X3 size box which would contain the same amount of cooked noodles. Without being chemically treated or made from GMO to achieve the shape shift.

Might add new meaning to, "You eat with your eyes first". :chef:

I would see this being a hit with the RV, Camping, & Hiking folks. Then
kids wanting to watch the pasta cook and transform into it's final form.

It would be easy to dismiss this as a novelty, but it may be a preview of
food packaging in the future.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom