Serving Irish soda bread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Hilary1220

Assistant Cook
I will be making Irish soda bread for a meeting of approximately 50 bikers, ages 7 through 70, and we do not have access to a microwave or an oven to reheat the bread. I am looking for a simple and cheap, yet creative way to serve the bread near our coffee stand. Someone suggested sliced apples with strawberry jam, and I was thinking Irish butter.

Additionally I realize the bread should probably be sliced beforehand but a lot of times my bread crumbles and falls apart when I slice it. Any suggestions to have the bread slice more evenly would be appreciated.

A Chef friend of mine purchased one of these electric slicing knives at an outlet store during the holidays. I think he gave something like $20 dollars for it. Since then he's used it on about everything and loves it. He slices bread he bakes with it too. Makes quick work of communion bread for his Church with it.

He told me that for the price he didn't think he would be hurt if he didn't like it.
And........if he didn't like it then he would put it in his Church silent auction. (fund raiser)

images

I will be making Irish soda bread for a meeting of approximately 50 bikers, ages 7 through 70, and we do not have access to a microwave or an oven to reheat the bread...
I use a cooler and an old 2-quart(ish) juice bottle to keep foods cold when we travel or when I shop during warm weather. You might be able to convert this idea to keeping bread warm.

I'm going to guess that you'll be baking the bread the day before? If so, warm the bread loaves in the oven. I would wrap in foil before heating, but you could probably wrap in foil or plastic wrap after heating. Meanwhile, preheat a cooler with boiling water, drain, and wipe dry. Put the bread into the cooler along with a couple bottles full of hot water. This might work for you. If you have time, you could do a test with any warm baked good.

Back
Top Bottom