Seasoning my cast iron pan advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Gizmo

Assistant Cook
Hi there, new to the forum. :)

I was given a good quality new cast iron pan about a year ago which I've been struggling to use properly and get so that it is as non stick as possible.

I've finally found out that I've not been seasoning it properly so I'd like to get started with it. I did one seasoning round by oiling and then putting it in the oven for an hour. Once done I can clearly see that the seasoning is having an effect, however it's quite mottled with dull matt patches too.

352F90D3-FB25-423D-8832-AC1D8B96D1CA.jpeg
BA997262-DC55-4380-9E57-09728FAEAF1F.jpeg
Before I continue I'd like some advice on whether I need to remove these dull patches/possible sign of rust? Using course sea salt as an abrasive or if the mottling might be normal as the seasoning is being built up?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

IMO those dull patches look like cooked-on grime.

If the pan is clean the appearance and feel of the surface should be uniform in color and texture.

I scrape cooked-on grime with a spatula then scrub with a green pad until the surface is clean then I dry the pan over the flame on a gas burner.

The whole seasoning thing is part reality and part myth. My 6" cast iron egg pan is well seasoned and never gets more than a quick dip in hot sudsy water before drying over a burner on the stove.

My 9" pan quite often has a layer of cooked-on gunk from pan-frying steaks, burgers, etc... that require a good scrape and scrub before drying over a burner on the stove. It reseasons quickly with a thin coating of oil and the non-stick feature is quickly restored for more delicate things like pancakes until I ruin it again with more high-heat cooking.

It looks perfect to me. Store it wherever. After use next time. No soap ever. I just put 1/2 in water and heat to boil. Pour out hot water, use plastic scrunchie ball thingy for any bits left. Heat to dry, store again. No soap ever! Eric.

And I'm in a different school. I use soap with my cast iron all the time. Because I cook beef, eggs, bread, chicken in all my pans and I don't care to taste last nights burger on this mornings egg, thank you very much.

I also scrubb with an SOS pad (steel wool saturated with soap) if necessary, which is rare but still does happen on occasion.

I would scrubb down your pan clean (whatever method you like) - give it the thinnest coat of oil - put it away til needed. It is with use that the 'non-stick' properties build up. But you will always need to use something. You can't just turn on the burner and toss in an egg. Low, slow, gradual build.

edit:
Hey Gizmo, Welcome to DC!

And I'm in a different school. I use soap with my cast iron all the time. Because I cook beef, eggs, bread, chicken in all my pans and I don't care to taste last nights burger on this mornings egg, thank you very much.

I also scrubb with an SOS pad (steel wool saturated with soap) if necessary, which is rare but still does happen on occasion.

I would scrubb down your pan clean (whatever method you like) - give it the thinnest coat of oil - put it away til needed. It is with use that the 'non-stick' properties build up. But you will always need to use something. You can't just turn on the burner and toss in an egg. Low, slow, gradual build.

edit:
Hey Gizmo, Welcome to DC!
My wife always washed her cast iron pans in the sink with the other stuff. Did not effect the pan at all. She did wipe a very little oil after they were dry.

I agree the dull spots are food residue. Don't be afraid to scrub your pan hard. It's going to be fine. Also, I use soap and water regularly with no ill effect. CI pans are pretty rugged. You don't need to strip the pan and start over. Just scrub it clean and go from there. Start by simmering water in it for 20-30 minutes before scrubbing.

It looks like the oil that was used in the seasoning may not have been an oil with a very high smoke point. Lower smoke-point oils will sometimes cause a result like what is above.

I will use soap when the cast-iron has been used for some items, but typically boil water, wipe it, dry it over a flame, and wipe with a very small smear of oil.

Thanks so much for all the replies everyone. What you all say seems to correlate with my use so far. I'll give the pan a much more vigorous scrub as suggested. :)

Thanks so much for all the replies everyone. What you all say seems to correlate with my use so far. I'll give the pan a much more vigorous scrub as suggested. :)
stop scrubbing the cast iron. some soap, wipe out, rinse, dry.
here's the carbon non-stick on my 100+ year old Griswold:
DSC_5275.JPG

Hi there, new to the forum. :)

I was given a good quality new cast iron pan about a year ago which I've been struggling to use properly and get so that it is as non stick as possible.

I've finally found out that I've not been seasoning it properly so I'd like to get started with it. I did one seasoning round by oiling and then putting it in the oven for an hour. Once done I can clearly see that the seasoning is having an effect, however it's quite mottled with dull matt patches too.

View attachment 63290

Before I continue I'd like some advice on whether I need to remove these dull patches/possible sign of rust? Using course sea salt as an abrasive or if the mottling might be normal as the seasoning is being built up?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
After re-reading the original post, my thoughts are now...
Think perhaps you've been 'seasoning' at too low a heat in your oven. I believe the shiny parts are accumulated oil, much like you would see brown/black on a shiny pan.
I personally would rescrub with soap and steel wool, dry carefully till all looked 'dull'. (dry for a minute or two on a burner)
Perhaps the best steps and explanations are from Serious Eats.
Try this link seasoning your cast iron

Gizmo, would love to hear back from you. How has it been going?

Achieving a beautiful and even seasoning on your cast iron pan is definitely within your reach. Here's a simple guide that i used to season my cast iron cookware to achieve non-stick surface:

1. Clean the pan: Start by thoroughly cleaning your pan with hot water and a stiff brush or sponge. Avoid using soap or abrasive materials as they can strip away the seasoning.
  2. Dry completely: After cleaning, make sure the pan is completely dry. You can air-dry it or use a towel to remove any moisture.
  3. Apply a thin layer of oil: Choose a high-smoke-point oil like vegetable oil, flaxseed oil, or grapeseed oil. Using a cloth or paper towel, apply a thin layer of oil to the entire surface of the pan, including the handle.
  4. Remove excess oil: Wipe off any excess oil from the pan. The goal is to have a very thin, almost invisible layer of oil on the surface.
  5. Bake in the oven: Place the pan upside down in an oven preheated to around 400°F (200°C). This ensures any excess oil drips off. Place a baking sheet or aluminum foil on the lower rack to catch any drips. Bake for approximately one hour.
  6. Cool and repeat: Once the hour is up, turn off the oven and allow the pan to cool in the oven. Once it's cool enough to handle, check the seasoning. If you still notice mottled or dull patches, repeat the process from step 3 to build up additional layers of seasoning. The more you repeat, the better the non-stick surface will become.

Achieving a beautiful and even seasoning on your cast iron pan is definitely within your reach. Here's a simple guide that i used to season my cast iron cookware to achieve non-stick surface:

1. Clean the pan: Start by thoroughly cleaning your pan with hot water and a stiff brush or sponge. Avoid using soap or abrasive materials as they can strip away the seasoning.
  2. Dry completely: After cleaning, make sure the pan is completely dry. You can air-dry it or use a towel to remove any moisture.
  3. Apply a thin layer of oil: Choose a high-smoke-point oil like vegetable oil, flaxseed oil, or grapeseed oil. Using a cloth or paper towel, apply a thin layer of oil to the entire surface of the pan, including the handle.
  4. Remove excess oil: Wipe off any excess oil from the pan. The goal is to have a very thin, almost invisible layer of oil on the surface.
  5. Bake in the oven: Place the pan upside down in an oven preheated to around 400°F (200°C). This ensures any excess oil drips off. Place a baking sheet or aluminum foil on the lower rack to catch any drips. Bake for approximately one hour.
  6. Cool and repeat: Once the hour is up, turn off the oven and allow the pan to cool in the oven. Once it's cool enough to handle, check the seasoning. If you still notice mottled or dull patches, repeat the process from step 3 to build up additional layers of seasoning. The more you repeat, the better the non-stick surface will become.
I hope this seasoning method to cast iron will help you.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom