Sausage Stuffer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I've come to the conclusion that sausage making is one of those things that, no matter what you say or how you say it, it always somehow comes out sounding kinda dirty. :angel:

I did countersink the mounting holes underneath. That will have the threads up and I have wing nuts to make it all easy to assemble/disassemble.

I have some black spongy rolled stuff I got in the shelf paper aisle at Lowes that I use for nonslip that works pretty well.

I made the plywood just the right size that it wedges between the stove lip and the soap dispenser. It goes back to the backsplash and right to the front edge. I think I will be able to use my hip to help keep it from moving as well.

I can also get the clamps out and use them for the plywood. I do have to take a drawer out, but there is nothing in that drawer I would use during sausage making.

The black spongy roll stuff will work too, also easy to clean.

You weren't surprised I knew the term "countersink"?:rolleyes:

Only a tall person would consider using their hip to stabilize something on a countertop...never occurred to me...I'd have to use something else:angel:

You weren't surprised I knew the term "countersink"?:rolleyes:

Only a tall person would consider using their hip to stabilize something on a countertop...never occurred to me...I'd have to use something else:angel:

Not surprised at all... :)

You need.. ahem.. shorter counters. :angel:

I took some pictures of the set up before making the kielbasa. Please note that the cylinder is not on the stuffer as it was in the fridge chilling while I was setting up and taking pictures.

The overview. Showing everything.

30377-albums854-picture4517.jpg

The board and stuffer mounted. Note it is wedged but I still clamped it down.

30377-albums854-picture4514.jpg

I used wing nuts to make it easier to assemble and disassemble.

30377-albums854-picture4516.jpg

Cabinet clearance was a bit of an issue. I think I could have mounted it about half an inch further to the right. The handle clears, just, but when you are raising the piston (by rotating it backwards) you clip the cabinet if you go too fast. Also the screw for the piston needed room in front of the cabinets to raise all the way. I didn't fool myself on that one. :)

30377-albums854-picture4515.jpg

Finally, the product. A 5 pound ring of sausage.

30377-albums851-picture4518.jpg

There should have been two of these. As I finished the second one I went to move it to give room for the last bit to come off and drop the whole thing on the floor. Sausage everywhere. Not a happy camper about that, though it does solve the storage problem. I didn't take a picture of the second ring because I didn't think anyone would want to see my trash can.

All in all the stuffer worked as advertised. It took longer to put the casing on the horn than it took to stuff, which is good. The KA attachment was a right pain, and the further along in the process the longer it took. The salt in the sausage helps it set up. The more it set up the harder it was to get in the stuffer.

I ripped off the first 5 pounds, cut the casing and tied. Pulled the cylinder and had it reloaded in under a minute. Tied the casing on the horn and was pushing sausage again. Easy peasy lemon squeezy.

It does take some time to set up and clean up, but that isn't the big worry. Getting the meat stuffed and everything back in the fridge quickly was the real concern.

That looks fantastic, Frank. I'll bet it tastes great on the grill too. Do you plan to smoke it?

Not smoking this. I have three rings in the freezer (will vacuum pack once they are frozen) and two in the fridge to stick in the crock pot Monday morning.

frank's sausage?

what? it's an honest question. you should be ashamed of yourselves...

ok, i'm sorry. i'll go chew my butt and lay down now...

Last edited:
Before using the stuffer one of my concerns is how to keep it from moving all over the place. It comes with clamps, but our counter doesn't make that as an attractive an option as it could be.

I decided I needed figure out a way to bolt it down without putting holes in the counter at the sink. :)

Today I bought a 2x2 sheet of oak plywood. I have been looking at various options and some of my ideas got very spendy. The plywood was reasonable. I also picked up two more cutting boards. We use one of these as an insert on one side of the sink since it has grooves and we need flat. (Kathleen's idea and it has worked wonderfully). With the way the sink is made these will sit in a groove over the sink and give me a long flat surface, with the cut down plywood base under the stuffer. This all sounds good in theory, so tomorrow I am going to try it out.

Once the plywood was cut down and drilled for the mounting holes I washed it in the sink and now have some mineral oil on it. Works for cutting boards, hopefully it works for this. If need be I can lay out some wax paper or wrap it in plastic wrap.

I will take some pictures tomorrow of the set up and report back with how it works.

Kathleen wanted kielbasa so I have about 10 pounds of pork shoulder cut and ready for the grinder tomorrow. I have hog casings in the fridge. I plan on having kielbasa and sauerkraut (from the crock in the basement) on Monday when she gets back from seeing her Mom. Don't tell... it is a surprise. :cool:
I almost bought one when I was in MN but was already having an issue with the amount of luggage I was going to have coming back (finally, the last leg of my jaunt will take place next week and I'm driving!). But, it is on my wish list for when I drive out in the summer...I'm anxious to hear what you think of it!

I almost bought one when I was in MN but was already having an issue with the amount of luggage I was going to have coming back (finally, the last leg of my jaunt will take place next week and I'm driving!). But, it is on my wish list for when I drive out in the summer...I'm anxious to hear what you think of it!

The right tool makes any job easier. This isn't just the right tool, it is the perfect tool.

If you get one get some food grade silicon grease at the same time. You will need it.

When I put it away after using I didn't grease the o-ring. When I pulled it back out because I wasn't satisfied I had sanitized it as well as I wanted (I was concerned about the air valve) and was going to redo it, the head was stuck in the cylinder. Oh that was fun to get out.

The numbers I have seen is a 5# stuffer is good for making up to 30# of sausage at one time. The longer it takes the more the sausage sets up and becomes hard to stuff.

LEM has a video with the 5# and 15# next to each other. The 15# looks like a monster in comparison.

Hot Dog Day!

Today we did hot dogs, wieners, frankfurters...

I found out during this process it takes a lot of stuff to go into them:

30377-albums859-picture4555.jpg

And no matter how good your food processor is you will only get home results on emulsifying. Kathleen did this part and did a bang up job:

30377-albums859-picture4557.jpg

I used sheep casings, which came salted. What fun they were to untangle and flush.

They are also not very long so you get to keep loading a new one on the horn.

30377-albums859-picture4556.jpg

You air dry:
30377-albums859-picture4559.jpg

Then put them in the smoker:
30377-albums859-picture4560.jpg

And after a couple hours they are done:
30377-albums859-picture4561.jpg

I used 10 pounds of trimmed chuck. If I can count correctly we ended with 83 plus some small odd end links.

All in a day's work...

They look amazing. If I lived closer, I'd come over and beg for one. Have you made them before?

You wouldn't need to beg. You are welcome.

No, this is the first time.

I think when we do this again I might skip the pink salt and the smoking and parboil them instead.

They remind me of Hebrew National, though they have a bit of hickory smoke.

Back
Top Bottom