Saturday's dinner - 9-24

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
German bologna with American cheese on Italian bread with a cup of tomato soup.

85% dark chocolate from Aldi for afters.

Oh, supper. :ermm: I'll make a small pot of chili when I think Himself might be heading home from stargazing. However, I will be finishing off the last bratwurst with sauerkraut along with a small potato and a pile of peas shortly

Today I made one of my last tomato salads of the season. :( A lot of new growth basil to use, with some of that garlic, and some of that Greek kalamata olive paste, from lidl. I started by soaking some kala chana overnight with a little baking soda, rinsed, then pressure cooked 60 min. with a black cardamom, and a little asafoetida. After draining and rinsing the chickpeas, I put 1/2 c of rinsed freekeh in to pressure cook for 8 minutes in about 1 1/2 c water. I cooked a 12 oz box of pasta, to stir into this mix, then salted the mix a little more with fish sauce.
Tomatoes, garlic, basil, olive paste, kala chana, and freekeh, mixed with the olive oil and wine vinegar, ready for the pasta. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Finished pasta salad, with some fish sauce added as another salt and umami flavor. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

I'm going to make a version of Carl's Western Bacon Cheeseburgers...but without the bacon. So, BBQ sauce, onion rings, cheddar cheese with burgers done on the Que. I think waffle fries with them. We'll see?

I've been wanting to make schnitzel for a while. DH has been wan ting me to make schnitzel for a while. Tonight we made it. I find that breading anything is easier as a team effort. I served it Danish style, with fried potatoes and a "dreng" on top of the schnitzel. The dreng is usually a slice of lemon with an anchovy filet wrapped around some capers and toped with some thinly shredded horseradish. I didn't have any fresh horseradish, so I left that out. I would have served the traditional peas with it, but I only had about 50 grams of peas in the freezer in the fridge. The full bag of peas was in the basement and no one really wanted to go into the basement and have to come back up the stairs afterwards. So, I pulled out a bag of Tasty Bite Jaipur Vegetables and we nuked that as our veg. It was good enough that I ate too much.

Pork schnitzel and fried potatoes.jpg Pork schnitzel, fried potatoes, and Jaipur veggies.jpg

Too Small..Cooked too fast... turned
my back for a few moments and they were over-done...
I'll stick to air-roasting them
I use Yukons to make home fries. I microwave them a little before putting them in the skillet. Just a thought.

Back
Top Bottom