Saturday's Dinner - 9/17

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

luckytrim

Chef Extraordinaire
Saturday Comfort ;
Beef 'n Shells ...
Sweet Peppers & Onions,
Fire-Roasted Diced Tomatoes,
a few Oz. of Tomato Sauce,
and a Splash of Beef Broth....
Seasonings were the usual suspects...

Beef 'n Shells 9-17-22.JPG

Big salads, garden lettuce, tomato, chickpeas, wheat berries, broccoli, pickles, carrot-apple-pineapple slaw on top, tomato dressing.

I made a tray bake of chicken breast, Italian sausage, chopped carrots, turnip, and celeriac, plus some onion, garlic, and slice zucchini. I poured some of my batch vinaigrette on the chicken breast and later, I basted everything with more of the vinaigrette. It was yummy. I learned that zucchini turns out best in thinner slices, 1 cm or less is probably best. Thicker slices were a bit mushy.

Attachments

• Chicken and Italian sausage roasted with root vegis and zucchini.jpg
    Chicken and Italian sausage roasted with root vegis and zucchini.jpg
    163.4 KB · Views: 5
  • Chicken and Italian sausage roasted with root vegis.jpg
    Chicken and Italian sausage roasted with root vegis.jpg
    175.2 KB · Views: 4
With SO off the NC to visit her granddaughter and grandson-in-law at their new home, I'm on my own. So, It's time to eat stuff she doesn't like.

Tonight's dinner is Spaghetti ala Carbonara made with bacon because I like it with bacon.

And, to drown my sorrows and soothe my lonely heart, some of the pecan pie I posted earlier. (With vanilla ice cream, of course.).

Attachments

• IMG_0322.jpeg
    IMG_0322.jpeg
    172.2 KB · Views: 6
I had about a pound of leftover steak, a sheet of puff pastry in the freezer, and time. The end result was a steak, mushroom, and ale pie. I used only half of the filling, so I'll freeze the second half for another time.

I had a pound of mushrooms I had to use up, and since it was sort of cool at nights lately, I made a mushroom soup. I used a cup of 3 different lentils, plus a half cup of barley - a favorite combination of mine with mushrooms.

I started out with a mirepoix of minced shallot, carrot, and celery, cooked in some homemade ghee, giving that browned butter flavor. I added a couple of cloves of garlic, minced with some Syrian oregano (intense thyme flavor), and fresh rosemary, then added a few tb of tomato paste, and cooked this about 2 minutes longer. Then I added the water from soaking and cleaning 1/2 oz boletus mushrooms (where most of the dark color is from), and cooked the 2 c water down to about a cup, with the minced boletus. Then I added 5 more cups water, 1/3 c each of toor, chana, and masoor dal, plus 1/2 c pearl barley. I added 2 tb thin soy, and a little more salt, plus a generous amount of black pepper. I mixed it all well, covered to seal it, and set on manual, 20 minutes, then let the pressure release on its own.

While this was cooking, I washed and cut up the mushrooms, then steamed them in a wok (sorry, not a one dish meal) with a couple tb of water, boiled the water off, then sautéed in a couple tsp of oil - an easy method I use a lot now. I also cut up over a cup of long beans, and diced 2 small red potatoes. After the IP released, I added the potatoes, adding a little more salt, and simmered 10 minutes. Then I added all the mushrooms and beans, and simmered about 10 more minutes. Then I stirred in some chopped parsley, and topped a bowl with some Asiago cheese. Fantastic, and a lot leftover!
Toor, chana, and masoor dals, plus a half cup of pearl barley, for the mushroom soup. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Cut up beans, to be added to the soup with the mushrooms. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Mushrooms and beans, added to soup, for a brief simmer by pepperhead212, on Flickr

A generous amount of chopped parsley, at the end. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Finished soup, with a little Asiago cheese grated on top. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

A cup of cream of chicken soup with mixed vegetables, a slice of Ellio's frozen pizza with an ice cold diet Pepsi mini, and a few pistachios.

Back
Top Bottom