Saturday Supper ~ August 6, 2022

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cooking Goddess

Chef Extraordinaire
We're having basic garden salads. Technically, Himself will be having a salad - I've already eaten mine while he's out shopping unsupervised. :ermm: :ohmy: His destination was Harbor Freight, right next to Aldi. I asked him to pick up a dozen eggs for me since they're cheaper at Aldi than they were at the other grocery stores. He called me from Aldi to talk me into two dozen since they were "only" $3.35 a dozen. Do the math: if he bought two dozen, why did my Discover text notification just tell me there was an Aldi charge for $21.09? :huh: Gonna have to frisk him when he gets home. :LOL:

While he's eating his salad, I'll be assembling and toasting roast beef and cheese sandwiches on brioche rolls. Watermelon for dessert.

What are you having tonight?

Went to the Farmers Market we have here on a Sat. morning....

Bought more peaches, plums and nectrines. Mixed basket.
Salmon from BC (whew, $$ but I ate every drop) I seasoned it with a Cajun mix I made many moons ago.
Couple of pan patties and one made it into the pan.
HUUUGE zucchini for a $1.00 (and they threw in the 2 pan patties for free!)

added some red peppers, onion
have a foccacia from the market that I snuck a couple of slices off while cooking.
Later tonight might have some Sweet Potato Bread, got cream chesse and (forget) and another one for tomorrow (also forget flavour) This guy - called the Sweet Potato Man makes all sorts of stuff. Not just dessert breads.

So, Cajun Salmon, Za'atar Vegies - all done in butter :pig: I'm stuffed but seem to have room for some more Mango Ice Cream.

Short ribs are on the menu! I roasted them in the oven first, now I'm slow braising them in a pot on the stove. Carrots, onions, celery, garlic, thyme, beef broth and some water. They smell divine. We'll have them with "Better Than Grandma's Mashed Potatoes" and oven roasted carrots. I'll post pictures if I can snap them before the plates disappear!

short ribs are on the menu! I roasted them in the oven first, now i'm slow braising them in a pot on the stove. Carrots, onions, celery, garlic, thyme, beef broth and some water. They smell divine. We'll have them with "better than grandma's mashed potatoes" and oven roasted carrots. I'll post pictures if i can snap them before the plates disappear!

IMG_6645 (2).jpg

Talk about breakfast for dinner:LOL:. I had a bowl of honey Cheerios to which I added a packet of uncooked, instant maple-brown sugar oatmeal. It all was covered with a half glass of milk (my daily allowance). The flavor, and texture were tasty, refreshing, and a lot like granola, minus any nuts. plus, it didn't leave me feeling stuffed:). i just wasn't in the mood to cook anything, not even in the microwave:ermm:

Seeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North.

Short ribs are on the menu! I roasted them in the oven first, now I'm slow braising them in a pot on the stove. Carrots, onions, celery, garlic, thyme, beef broth and some water. They smell divine. We'll have them with "Better Than Grandma's Mashed Potatoes" and oven roasted carrots. I'll post pictures if I can snap them before the plates disappear!

What are "Better Than Grandma's Mashed Potatoes"?

Do you have a recipe?

Seeeeya; Longwind of the North

Tonight I made a Danish dish called "karbonader". I made a version where the seasoning was inspired by Italian cuisine. It was ground pork mixed well with oregano, garlic, paprika, minced onion, shredded cheese, and salt and pepper. It is shaped into patties and then covered in a bit of flour. Then it is fried until it has a nice brown crust and it's cooked all the way through. I served that with wholewheat fusilli and romesco sauce. The romesco sauce was new-to-me. It was delicious. The karbonader were really good too. I had planned on making a salad, but I ran out of spoons.

Italienske karbonader, romesco sauce, wholewheat fusilli.jpg

Pan-fried thin pork chops, green beans, mashed, and gravy.

pork_chops_080622_img_9901-jpg.51862

What are "Better Than Grandma's Mashed Potatoes"?

Do you have a recipe?

Seeeeya; Longwind of the North

Here's a link to a copy of the recipe: Better Than Grandmas Potatoes Recipe

NOTE: That's waaaaay too much sour cream. I use the recipe as a guideline. Often, I will "bake" (nuke) the potatoes & put them thru a ricer (so I don't have to peel them) and cook the rest on the stovetop, similar to the directions. They are good potatoes with or without gravy!

By the way, there is no tomato in the romesco sauce and it was delicious. It gets its red colour from red bell peppers. Here's a link to the recipe. Easy Romesco Sauce I used roasted red peppers from a jar.

Tonight I made a Danish dish called "karbonader". I made a version where the seasoning was inspired by Italian cuisine. It was ground pork mixed well with oregano, garlic, paprika, minced onion, shredded cheese, and salt and pepper. It is shaped into patties and then covered in a bit of flour. Then it is fried until it has a nice brown crust and it's cooked all the way through. I served that with wholewheat fusilli and romesco sauce. The romesco sauce was new-to-me. It was delicious. The karbonader were really good too. I had planned on making a salad, but I ran out of spoons.

View attachment 52855

I poached some shrimp for shrimp cocktail and had a few canned stuffed grape leaves. I had had a couple hot dogs earlier, so I wasn't very hungry.
20220806_201607.jpg

Back
Top Bottom