Saturday night, alright what's for dinner, January 28, 2023

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I made tourtière. I didn't make the crust though. I used a puff pastry crust. It was interesting, but the filling sure was good. I served it with a salad (Boston lettuce, curly lettuce, romaine lettuce, sorrel, yellow carrot, red onion, and one large tatsoy leaf), from frozen potato patties, pickled beats, and gravy. I'm stuffed.

Tourtière (semi-homemade), pickled beets, salad, potato patty, and gravy.jpgTourtière (semi-homemade), pickled beets, salad, potato patties, and gravy.jpg

I used those new (to me) green chickpeas today, along with some barley, in an Indian soup, which I seasoned with that malvani masala spice mix I made a while back, plus a few other things. I started soaking 1 c of the green chickpeas in 4 c water, and 1/2 tsp baking soda yesterday. Today, I drained it, and rinsed it, and put it in the Instant Pot, with 5 c water, a tsp of salt, and a teabag (something used in chole masala, and other dishes with regular chickpeas). I pressure cooked it for 25 minutes, then drained, saving the liquid.

Then I melted about 2 tb of ghee in the IP, and sautéed a medium diced onion about 6 minutes, until it was golden. Then I added 2 large cloves of garlic, minced, plus about 2 tb of tomato paste, and cooked about 2 minutes. Then I added 2 tb of the malvini masala powder, cooked briefly, then added the cooking liquid plus water to 5 c. Then I returned the chickpeas to the pot, along with 3/4 c pearl barley, and 3/4 tsp turmeric. I mixed well, and turned it off, put the lid back on, and set it to MANUAL 25 min., and when done, I let the pressure release naturally.

Meanwhile, I got the spices and curry leaves ready for the tarka, and diced 2 small potatoes. And I got about 6 c of greens from the hydro chopped up fine, then tossed them in a wok over medium high heat, until wilted down to about 2 c, only about a minute.

When the IP was opened, I added 1 tsp garam masala, and stirred in the wilted greens and diced potatoes, and simmered 8 or 9 minutes. While simmering, I made the tarka, for tempering, and stirred it in at the end. Then I topped with a little cilantro.
Dried chickpeas - green on left, black/brown on right. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

I was surprised how much these looked like the black chickpeas, once cooked. The taste was very close, too, though I'd have to taste them next to each other, to taste the difference. I have always liked the black chickpeas, since I discovered them, and it's unbelievable how long you can cook them, and they are still "al dente". Looks like the green ones are similar.
cooked green chickpeas - hara chana. They look almost the same as black chickpeas, once cooked. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Cooked greens, reduced by about 3/4. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Spices ready for making tarka, for chickpea barley dish. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Tarka, ready to stir into the chickpea barley soup. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Finished chickpea barley soup. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Two thick whole wheat bread toasted with avocado, pepper, and salt.
Mr bliss had baked beans baked potatoes and white cream sauce with peas.
Dessert: sweet potato raisin bread.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom