Rumtopf or Rumpot

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

troyerboy

Assistant Cook
Anyone starting a rumpot this year or done one in the past?
I started mine with 2 parts maple syrup and 1 part Bacardi in May. Yesterday added 2 lbs fresh field strawberries, 1 part sugar and 1 part Bacardi. Hoping for cherries in July with some 160 proof homemade rum. Hoping to add Currants, blueberries, peaches, nectarines, plums, grapes. And any other fruits that come in season. Vanilla bean, Ceylon cinnamon sticks in November. I have 2 bottles of 151 proof rum to use as well. Super exited ?

Sounds like a winner troyerboy.

I have in the past but so long ago (years!) don't remember what's in it. Matter of fact, saw the jar way at the back of a cupboard. Still some in it. guess it's time to check it out on some ice cream maybe.

One think I do remember is I have never used maple syrup in it. Sounds like a nice base.

My mother used to make Rumtopf during the 70s.

The biggest issue was actually using it. Better start planning a Christmas or New Year celebration now.

These days I would make a small two-cup container highlighting one fruit like fresh cherries, peaches, or pineapple and put it away to ripen for the holidays.

The Rumtopf liquid makes a nice basting sauce for a holiday ham.

Good luck!

Last edited:
I've always wanted to have one of those lovely ceramic rumtopf pots to make it in. Back when I had my small orchard I us I would use it with home made ice cream or bake it in muffins or cake.

68b9e08bd0f4c1cd9a829fce74c0fd7a.jpg

If you notice the lid on this one, it has a water seal. You pour a little water into the groove before setting the lid into it. Similar with the German sauerkraut pots.

rumtopf-5-liter-decorative-crock-pot-4.gif

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom