Roasting Green Chile

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bitser

Senior Cook
The market had a box of big, thick-fleshed, mild Anaheim chiles, so I bought a bag to roast on the grill. Once they're well-scorched, they go into a plastic bag to steam, then cool off in the fridge.

NpfJ6Wm.jpg

Today, I stemmed, cored, seeded, and peeled them, not my favorite job. Once both hands get slimed, I always have to sneeze. But they came out well and are on plastic film in the freezer, for later vacuum-packing. Except for one, that got shredded and will go into a green chile omelette tonight. Mostly, they go into rellenos, so they need to be whole.

I like hot chiles, but my sweetie doesn't care for them, alas.

Next time I hit the market, I'll be on the lookout for poblanos.

Last edited:
I love chiles, although I have to admit I´ve never eaten an Anaheim. Poblano, Guajillo, morita, chilpotle, habanero,serrano, YES!
In popular restaurants in Mexico City, you can ask for a dish of "chiles toreados" - basically, serranos or jalapeños, grilled with a few onions then sprinkled with lime juice.
Preserving them like you did is a great idea. Grilling not only adds a slightly smoky flavour to the chiles, it also seems to intensify the sweetness.
If you ever decide to do the same with hotter peppers (serranos, for example), use gloves to peel. I say that from the painful experience of having processed 2 kgs of rocoto peppers, then spending 3 days with Hunan Hand!

If you ever decide to do the same with hotter peppers (serranos, for example), use gloves to peel. I say that from the painful experience of having processed 2 kgs of rocoto peppers, then spending 3 days with Hunan Hand!
I even put gloves on when I'm peeling Anaheims and poblanos! [emoji16] Occasionally there's a hot one! [emoji1787]

Got more Anaheim chiles and some poblanos. Came up short on the charcoal, so I finished roasting the chiles in the toaster oven. An even roast makes them easier to peel. Today I peeled, cored, and seeded for a couple hours.

4ipBPkY.jpg

Put the chile on sheet pans in the freezer and when it was firm, vacuum packed it. We're set for a year at least.

Put the chile on sheet pans in the freezer and when it was firm, vacuum packed it. We're set for a year at least.

I basically do the same thing
Im still working off my peppers from 2 summers ago ( and they taste great)
I have a bunch from this year

Do to the overload of frozen peppers, this year I made salsa with them ( and the tomatoes and onions) and canned it.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom