Roasting/Baking - Baking/Roasting

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
When the chicken is resting, does that mean the steam is turning back to liquid and the chicken more moist?
When you heat meat the cells contract and squeeze out internal moisture. This moisture collects between the cells and will run out when you cut the meat, resulting in drier meat. When you rest cooked meat, the contracted cells cool and relax so they can reabsorb the liquids. This results in juicer meat.

Do you bake an apple or roast one?

Seriously, I have dreams about hot baked apples this time of year. I can almost taste one.

Baking vs roasting anymore is cooking method colloquium interchange. We don't refer to barbecued chicken as roasted....because of the method...or because the chicken is cut or whole.

Roasted vegetables are usually browned or caramelized in part...just like most everything...a baked potato is whole but roasted potatoes are cut? It's nonsense....just like if I say I have a frog in my throat. Most people understand that I am suffering from congestion...nobody believes that I have an amphibian I can't swallow and is trapped. Just idioms of speech at work here.

After reading all 21 posts, I've come to the conclusion...that @Andy M. has too much time to think. :geek: I'm not complaining, though, because this has been interesting to read.
Well, I think this thread has just about run its course. I'll have to work on something else now. The term "bone broth" has been bothering me lately . . .

Seriously, I have dreams about hot baked apples this time of year. I can almost taste one.

Baking vs roasting anymore is cooking method colloquium interchange. We don't refer to barbecued chicken as roasted....because of the method...or because the chicken is cut or whole.

Roasted vegetables are usually browned or caramelized in part...just like most everything...a baked potato is whole but roasted potatoes are cut? It's nonsense....just like if I say I have a frog in my throat. Most people understand that I am suffering from congestion...nobody believes that I have an amphibian I can't swallow and is trapped. Just idioms of speech at work here.
John, you are right of course. However, there are places where it's inappropriate. For example, within a trade or a scientific discipline or a craft such as cooking.

It's OK to say you've got a frog in your throat. Most will know what you mean. No one is going to jump down your throat for saying that.:ohmy:

But terminology need to be more fixed/specific in trades, sciences, crafts. I wouldn't want my dentist to misuse the words examination and extraction for example.

baked apple with cottage cheese and sprinkled with vanilla sugar:love::love:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom