RIP I M Pei

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

caseydog

Master Chef
Many of you will be wondering who I M Pei is, but my idols are a little different than most. I was an art major in college, and we are not normal. I M Pei, who died at the age of 102 today, was an architect. He was very influential in modern architecture. One of his creations is Dallas City Hall, which was featured in the movie RoboCop, due to its futuristic design.

If you are not familiar with him, I encourage you to Google his name and look at his work. In addition to Dallas City Hall, he designed the JFK Library, the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in Cleveland, and if you have ever seen pictures of that glass pyramid at the Louvre in Paris... that was his design, too.

CD

Quote of the day ;
“Stop worrying about missed opportunities and start looking for new ones.” ...
- I.M. Pei

Heh, I was going to mention Pei yesterday, but I never logged on with my laptop until really late and you beat me to it. Easier for writing long posts than on a phone or tablet.

Like GG said, I think you underestimate how many people recognize his works. In my mind, he is this generation's version of Frank Lloyd Wright. Whether or not you appreciated his (Lloyd) designs, they were unique enough to the man and his style that many people outside of art or architecture are familiar with the man and his works. Pei is like that. People might not recognize the name, but if you say "the designer of the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame" they'll say "oh, I know that!".

...I was an art major in college, and we are not normal...
I think we've all figured out that you aren't normal a long time ago. ;)

Yep, I know him from the glass pyramid at the Louvre in Paris. I don't like it and think it's out of place and quite bizarre to say the least.

He certainly led a long memorable life.

Certain creators are household names. Frank Lloyd Wright is one. In photography, Ansel Adams. In pop art, Andy Warhol is the soup-can guy. My favorite artist from the 'pop" era is probably Robert Rauschenberg -- who happens to be from my adopted hometown of Port Arthur, Texas. People into art would know of him, but most people wouldn't.

Probably EVERYONE has seen an I M Pei building. I'm just not sure people would know he did it. I doubt half the people in Dallas would know he designed Dallas City Hall.

Attachments

• DCH.jpg
    DCH.jpg
    69.3 KB · Views: 144
Pei designed our local museum in the 60s.

Pei's design intentionally obscured the main entrance to the museum in an effort to get people to move around the exterior of the building and appreciate the buildings form, surroundings, etc...

Attachments

• Everson.jpg
    Everson.jpg
    46.6 KB · Views: 110
Back
Top Bottom