Recipe calls for jalapeno juice? how & where to get jalapeno juice?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

colours

Assistant Cook
Hello all

I have a recipe for Salsa that calls for jalapeno juice, I did a google search but didn't find much other than some very in-depth recipes for making jalapeno juice. Anyone any ideas?

Thanks in Advance!!!

It sounds like they may mean the juice from a jar or can of pickled jalapenos.

Just use some diced fresh jalapeno pepper

Or choose another recipe... there are a million of good ones that don't call for jalapeno juice

Just use some diced fresh jalapeno pepper

Or choose another recipe... there are a million of good ones that don't call for jalapeno juice

fresh jalapenos won't give the same bright flavor that the 'jalapeno juice' would though. They are looking for that pop from the vinegars and the spice. Pickle juice is the next best thing, with some added jalapenos or crushed red pepper to give it some heat.

You are right though, there are tons of other recipes out there..but that's not exactly the point of this forum :ermm:

Thanks all for the replies, the salsa recipe calls for 2 teaspoons jalapeno juice and 1 jalapeno and of course the other ingredients onion etc etc...

Sorry, but pickle juice tastes like pickle spice.

Not something I'd want in salsa.

If you can't find picked jalapeños then I'd use a little diluted vinegar or more lime juice (which I assume your recipe calls for).

Or like I suggested.... A different recipe ....

You are right though, there are tons of other recipes out there..but that's not exactly the point of this forum :ermm:

Heh, Stuart, you're new so you haven't realized yet that there are lots of points of this forum :) There are many ways to make substitutions and we do like to help people understand which will work and which won't.

Two teaspoons of jalapeño juice is not enough to make a huge difference in the flavor, but adding dill pickle juice to salsa will add a flavor that will not meld well with the other ingredients. I would either leave it out or find a different recipe.

This post reminds me of one of my wild woman college roommates. Whenever we'd go out to eat together, she always order extra pickled jalãpenos, with extra juice. With everything. Being from a tiny midwest town and having never had a jalãpeno before until I worked in a Mexican restaurant, she always impressed me with that.

I have some salsa that I just threw some pickle juice into. Was good actually :P I played a dirty trick on my wife and had her try it and she liked it too. I actually wasn't expecting that. Sure, not everyone will also think so. Everyone likes something different.

I thought that telling someone to try another recipe instead of suggesting a substitution like the substitutions subforum is for went against the spirit of the sub. Though reading back now I do see that I was being kinda crabby, sorry about that. A substitution was suggested, apparently I just didn't like it and was a turd about it.

Last edited:
Puree 2 or 3 jalapeno peppers in a blender or food processor. Then, pour this mixture through a strainer to strain out any pulp and make the juice smoother.

Puree 2 or 3 jalapeno peppers in a blender or food processor. Then, pour this mixture through a strainer to strain out any pulp and make the juice smoother.

I was going to post the same thing. Thought of that last night. I'd mash on the pulp though to try to extract as much flavor as possible.

Back
Top Bottom