Rabbit

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

otuatail

Senior Cook
This was original posted in the General section as I could not think of a good group to put it in.

I love my curries and I have even been to India. I once made a curry banquet for over 60 people with a menu of curies. Recently I went to an Indian restaurant and had a king prawn vindaloo extra hot. Vindalo by its Portuguese/Indian meaning is wine and potatoes. Doesn't seem very appetising. A friend shoots rabbits and I had the idea of a Rabbit Vindaloo. My problem is that I have never eaten rabbit. I was told it tastes like chicken but it is a game . Probably cooked slowly (diced) I think RED wine would be best but I would like any help from someone who has made a rabbit stew. I could take it from there.

I have my Rabbit. It is about 1kg. less after boning. Probably the the best idea yet? How many restaurants serve a Rabbit Vindaloo. I can reduce the heat but I still fear a child getting Buck Shot in the curry. I can handle that part.

If successful I will post the recipe here.

Hi! I have eaten rabbit but mine was marinated in a flavored buttermilk and fried. It does taste closer to chicken than red meat but a little gamier assuming it was wild caught. It can have a tendency to get dry. I found a "recipe" for you, it's not mine so here is a link... Rabbit Vindaloo Recipe - The Best Rabbit Curry You'll Ever cook!. My fiancé says yes, red wine makes everything taste better :ermm: he doesn't know and neither do I but I hope this helps?

I am not a curry fan at all but I I like rabbit vindaloo if done right. My favorite is putting a sweet glaze on the rabbit and a dob of yogurt or cream on top. I make my glaze out of root beer!

Red wine is great with rabbit. Red wine is great with all game.

All this rabbit talk makes me want to grab my shotgun :)

Hi Thanks for the recipe. The only thing that's missing is the potatoes

Vindaloo Wine and potatoes

Will have a go later tonight. Marinading over night in the vinegar and spices should help.

My problem is that I have never eaten rabbit. I was told it tastes like chicken but it is a game . Probably cooked slowly (diced) I think RED wine would be best but I would like any help from someone who has made a rabbit stew. I could take it from there.
I've eaten a lot of rabbit, and to me it tastes like rabbit. :)

But I've heard others say it tastes like chicken. Maybe a little. Wild rabbit is gamier than chicken. It's also all muscle. So stewing is usually the best method to soften it up.

One of my favorite dishes is rabbit stew. I make it with chicken stock (because I have yet to find rabbit stock at the local grocer), mustard, white wine, cream, and tarragon. I personally think white wine goes much better with rabbit than red.

Last edited:
Rabbit is very popular in Italy, and also in Spain. One of my favourite recipes is jointed rabbit fried off and then finished with white wine, pine nuts and fruity olives. Simple but delicious, however the recipe I really prefer is rabbit pieces floured, breaded and fried with olives and balsamic vinegar. The pieces are tiny and are really finger food, with a drizzle of melted of goats cheese and honey. This is a recipe I picked from Fuerentura in the Canary Islands.

di reston

Enough is never as good as a feast Oscar Wilde

Rabbit is very popular in Italy, and also in Spain. One of my favourite recipes is jointed rabbit fried off and then finished with white wine, pine nuts and fruity olives. Simple but delicious, however the recipe I really prefer is rabbit pieces floured, breaded and fried with olives and balsamic vinegar. The pieces are tiny and are really finger food, with a drizzle of melted of goats cheese and honey. This is a recipe I picked from Fuerentura in the Canary Islands.

That fried rabbit with balsamic, goat cheese and honey sounds really delicious. I'd probably make it with chicken breast cut into finger shapes (I don't know where I would get rabbit). Do you have a more detailed recipe?

Last edited:
(RPCookin) No Rabbit is not veal. What is meant is that dear is considered game. If we put Veal , Rabit and possibly Wild boar, we could extend it to a Game vindaloo. Any ideas on something like this?

(di reston). Popular in Italy and Spain. That is interesting. I love Spain to bits. Will investigate this. English (I am Irish actual) Don't seem to be very adventurist even to this day.

Snake for example or even an Aligator. Nort that I have ever tried them.

MORE

Vindaloo should have potatoes in it. I would not casarole a potato as it would turn into mash. I am thinking about cooking the 1/4 untill soft and adding them at the end or freezing it for a later date.

Amusing question: Maurice piper, King Edward or baking potatoes.

I used to live in a log cabin. We snared snowshoe hare in winter and got really, really tired of it. One of the best ways we found to serve it was as snowshoe vindalou. We just used a chicken vindalou recipe and substituted the cut up hare.

Won't you be able to remove any buckshot before you cook it? I mean, it should be visible where the shot went into the rabbit, once it is skinned. I guess if you cut it into cubes like in recipe Merlot linked, it would be even easier to make sure by sight and feel that you have gotten all the buckshot out. We didn't have to deal with that, since ours was snared.

Back
Top Bottom