Quotes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
From the Diary of Lazarus Long

A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects!

A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects!

How much Heinlein have you read? I knew where this quote came from before I saw the title. Shrek and I are HUGE Heinlein fans.

Heinlen

i have read almost everything his has written, starting many years ago with his juveniles and from there up to about 1973, with Time Enough for Love.
I have not read any of his later ones:

But, my favorite quote from the Diary is:
Money is truthful. If a man speaks to you of his honor, make him pay cash

Robert A. Heinlein, GG...Heinlein has his own shelf in my house and I am a member of The Heinlein Society. I've done talks at the library and High Schools about his books. My most favorite author.

i have read almost everything his has written, starting many years ago with his juveniles and from there up to about 1973, with Time Enough for Love.
I have not read any of his later ones:

But, my favorite quote from the Diary is:
Money is truthful. If a man speaks to you of his honor, make him pay cash

The Number of The Beast, The Cat Who Walks Through Walls and To Sail Beyond the Sunset are all stories connected to Lazarus Long.

Friday and Job are different stories, stand-alones.

From Teddy Rosevelt

It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat.

I love a bargain and am thrifty by nature. I sometimes need to restrain myself and when I do I think of this quote by former New York Mayor David N. Dinkins

“If they’re selling elephants two for a quarter, that’s a great bargain, but only if you have a quarter and only if you need elephants.”

Bought any elephants lately? :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

I was looking for Easter dinner recipes and came across this quote that my Mother scrawled in the margin of her church cookbook.

"The greatest oak in the forest was just a little nut that stood its ground!"

I was looking for Easter dinner recipes and came across this quote that my Mother scrawled in the margin of her church cookbook.

"The greatest oak in the forest was just a little nut that stood its ground!"

A version of it is attributed to David Icke, an English writer, public speaker, former professional (soccer) footballer and sports broadcaster and all round loony tunes. This quote is probably the most sensible thing he said and that's putting it mildly. For further information on "our Dave" and a good laugh read this
David Icke - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
It makes other loonies look sane!

I suspect the original quote is much older than David Icke.

Last edited:
"Two things have altered not
since first the world began -
The beauty of the wild green earth
and the bravery of man"

(From a poem called "Magpies in Picardy" by a first world war poet T P Cameron-Wilson)

I first heard it when it was used, very aptly, as a tag line for a television documentary on the Burma campaign, during the second world war, the turning point of which were the battles of Kohima and Imphal where the invasion of India by the Japanese was repulsed by British and Indian troops. The Commonwealth War Graves Cemetery at Kohima has a memorial with the inscription

"When you go home tell them of us and say
for your tomorrow we gave our today"

(My uncle was with the Royal Marines in Burma for most of the campaign.)

Last edited:
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, and today is a gift; that's why they call it the present." - Eleanor Roosevelt

Nice, isn't it? It came in the mail, along with my chance to win a free cremation. :rolleyes:

"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, and today is a gift; that's why they call it the present." - Eleanor Roosevelt

Nice, isn't it? It came in the mail, along with my chance to win a free cremation. :rolleyes:

Apparently, tomorrow isn't that much of a mystery to them.

:wacko: If you should win it and decide to not use it, can I borrow it for a while? :angel:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom