Question re: refrigerating coffee cake?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jovin

Senior Cook
The older I get, the more I forget. I honestly can't decide if my sour cream coffee cake has to be in the fridge after cooling or not. The fact that there's a dairy ingredient (one cup of sour cream) makes me think it's not a good idea to leave it out in an air tight container. I'm sorry to bother everyone with such a silly question, but I can't remember what I've done other times through the years after having made this recipe.

Thanks for any feedback.

I wouldn't worry about it. Think about eggs - after you've cooked them in a cake, you don't have to refrigerate it.
Well, I live alone, but am expecting company in the morning. Thanks for your input. lol I try very hard NOT to eat it, too. I've tried throwing it in the freezer until I know someone's coming, but hey....anything that goes into the freezer can come out just as easily. ha ha

Well, I live alone, but am expecting company in the morning. Thanks for your input. lol I try very hard NOT to eat it, too. I've tried throwing it in the freezer until I know someone's coming, but hey....anything that goes into the freezer can come out just as easily. ha ha
I do that with things like brownies, or those CC coconut macaroons, that I have no willpower with! I put portions in sandwich bags, then put those in gallon bags, so I only get 3 at a time. Not that I couldn't take several bags at a time. :sneaky:

I can't remember ever putting sour cream coffee cake in the fridge. It might last to the next day, but that's it (there's two of us).

I do that with things like brownies, or those CC coconut macaroons, that I have no willpower with! I put portions in sandwich bags, then put those in gallon bags, so I only get 3 at a time. Not that I couldn't take several bags at a time. :sneaky:
Hi Jovin, nice to see you pop by again. Let us know if it survived - in tact - for your visitors this morning! LOL

pepper- that's exactly what I do, and yes, several at a time. :pig: :confused:

Hi Jovin, nice to see you pop by again. Let us know if it survived - in tact - for your visitors this morning! LOL

pepper- that's exactly what I do, and yes, several at a time. :pig: :confused:
Well, thank you so much. Well, it DID survive and it totally got sent home with my daughter and granddaughter when they left yesterday, too. I did keep a couple of small pieces for my other daughter for when I see her tomorrow, but other than that it was a success. Why do I not remember ANYTHING anymore!

Well, thank you so much. Well, it DID survive and it totally got sent home with my daughter and granddaughter when they left yesterday, too. I did keep a couple of small pieces for my other daughter for when I see her tomorrow, but other than that it was a success. Why do I not remember ANYTHING anymore!
It’s time to start writing little notes in the margins of your cookbooks and recipe cards.

It may sound foolish but your children and grandchildren will cherish those handwritten notes in the years to come ?

It’s time to start writing little notes in the margins of your cookbooks and recipe cards.

It may sound foolish but your children and grandchildren will cherish those handwritten notes in the years to come ?
Unfortunately they probably won't be able to read them, because I'm so disorganized I write ON the recipes and to the sides and tend to get writing all over the place each time I make that recipe. I'm a very disorganized person, but my intentions are good. lol

Hello MobyDick, Welcome to DC!
I guess you're in the middle of summer there. Here, we are in a deep freeze. As your initiation you are required to send us some warming sunshine!

Hello MobyDick, Welcome to DC!
I guess you're in the middle of summer there. Here, we are in a deep freeze. As your initiation you are required to send us some warming sunshine!
Yes, the warming part of that request is the important part. It was sunny here today, with our high of -26°C.

That cake would get moist & sticky in the fridge.

Weather wise, we are coming out of the ground hog hole tomorrow. Heat wave but we will need furnace heat to view the Chinese weather balloon!

I find the refrigerator usually dries out baked goods. Most are better if stored at room temperature or tightly wrapped in the freezer.

I recently went to a funeral and afterwards there was a coffee with a delicious "coffee cake" that looked Swedish or scandinavian in origin. It looked like it was a long strip with both sides folded towards the middle and had a brown sugar, nut, and light cinnamon filling down the middle. It had a light glaze and was lightly dusted with a few sliced almonds on top. It was very dense but yeast raised, not like a traditional coffee cake here. Not like stollen, or pannetone or anything that is pictured on the swedish bakery website, delicious looking as they are. It was not like a richer bread like dough. The dough was very light colored, not brown. It was not a kringle. The pieces that were cut were about one inch wide, four inches long and one inch high. It did taste a bit like Ann Sathers cinnamon buns but in another form. Could it be a Swedish Tea ring (it may be in the form of a strip rather than a ring). Anyone know what this is or have an idea of a recipe??
Gosh, it sounds wonderful, but unlike anything I’ve come across, darn it! 😀

I recently went to a funeral and afterwards there was a coffee with a delicious "coffee cake" that looked Swedish or scandinavian in origin. It looked like it was a long strip with both sides folded towards the middle and had a brown sugar, nut, and light cinnamon filling down the middle. It had a light glaze and was lightly dusted with a few sliced almonds on top. It was very dense but yeast raised, not like a traditional coffee cake here. Not like stollen, or pannetone or anything that is pictured on the swedish bakery website, delicious looking as they are. It was not like a richer bread like dough. The dough was very light colored, not brown. It was not a kringle. The pieces that were cut were about one inch wide, four inches long and one inch high. It did taste a bit like Ann Sathers cinnamon buns but in another form. Could it be a Swedish Tea ring (it may be in the form of a strip rather than a ring). Anyone know what this is or have an idea of a recipe??
I would look at the works of Beatrice Ojakangas for a similar danish coffee strip.

https://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/danish-pastry-braid

Last edited:
That really does sound like a pastry made in Denmark, called Wienerbrødsstang or Wienerstang.

Here's a picture with a recipe, in Danish. The white glassure is optional.

Back
Top Bottom