Question on cooking oils

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

georgevan

Senior Cook
As you know many recipes call for a specific kind of cooking oil. If a person was to use every oil called for one would have to have 4 or 5 different kinds of oils on hand. How closely do you follow the recipe instructions concerning cooking oiI? I tend to use whatever oil I have on hand for the most part. What I have on hand is peanut oil, vegetable oil, and olive oil.

As you know many recipes call for a specific kind of cooking oil. If a person was to use every oil called for one would have to have 4 or 5 different kinds of oils on hand. How closely do you follow the recipe instructions concerning cooking oiI? I tend to use whatever oil I have on hand for the most part. What I have on hand is peanut oil, vegetable oil, and olive oil.

I think what you have is just fine.
things to consider with oil is flavor ( olive oil) and ability to cook at thigh heat ( peanut). Vegetable oil is kinda universal, good for baking since it wont alter the flavor.

In addition, I also have on hand Sesame oil for Asian cooking, as it adds a really nice sesame flavor ( but I use it strictly for flavor).
Also, I have coconut oil due to its solid state at room temp, which is necessary in some of the things I cook.

Not saying the other oils are insignificant, but most things could be accomplished with what you got.

Im sure there are many other opinions that will follow, this is just my take

You're good with the oils you have. I have olive oil and corn oil on hand for cooking and sesame oil for flavor.

Lots of times recipes will call for specific types of ingredients when they really make no difference, but it sounds better to say, "extra virgin olive oil" to say vegetable oil, sea salt sounds better than salt, unsalted butter sounds better than butter. 99% of the time these differences make not difference in the finished product.

I agree with Andy and Larry. I just want to point out that the sesame oil for flavouring is toasted sesame seed oil. I mention that because, I bought the untoasted one the first time and it has virtually no flavour. I have read that you can "toast" the oil, but I haven't tried it.

BTW, EVOO has a smoke point of 190–215 °C (374–419 °F) and has enough anti-oxidants that it produces far fewer free radicals at high heats than most oils, even those with higher smoke points. So, I use EVOO for almost all of my frying, as well as for salad dressings. I find that EVOO gets stale smelling faster if you don't use it on a regular basis.

I agree with Andy and Larry. I just want to point out that the sesame oil for flavouring is toasted sesame seed oil.

Very true

I get mine from the same place all the time, and all they have is the toasted. So I always think of sesame as all being toasted.

That being said, I once was making an Indian recipe which called for basic sesame oil, and had to go to an Indian specialty store to pick it up, and as Taxlady mentioned, basically flavorless.

And one more point from what I mentioned initially, although I prefer to use peanuts oil when stir frying, if I don have it, I make due with the vegetable oil, just keep an eye on the heat. And hat being said, I have an electric flat top burner, so high heat usually isn't an issue ( Bucket list for me is to one day stir fry on one of those ' rockets engines' they have at the Chinese restaurants. There's a place in Reading Terminal Market (Philly) where the only thin separating you from the guy 3 feet awayusing the wok is a piece of plexiglass. I can watch it for hours (although my wife is always nudging me to move on). Thats when I go a few vendors over and watch the Amish ladies filling the donut with cream or jellies ( another thing I can watch for hours).

After posting this, I looked up sesame oil to make sure what I mentioned made sense. Here is a link that gives a good description of he variations of sesame oil.

https://www.mrnatures.com/are-sesame-and-gingelly-oil-same/

Last edited:

I find that EVOO gets stale smelling faster if you don't use it on a regular basis.

Very fast! but I find the expense doesn't warrant the use for frying. That being said, I buy the small and inherently more expensive bottle just because it does go rancid so quickly.

You're good with the oils you have. I have olive oil and corn oil on hand for cooking and sesame oil for flavor.

Lots of times recipes will call for specific types of ingredients when they really make no difference, but it sounds better to say, "extra virgin olive oil" to say vegetable oil, sea salt sounds better than salt, unsalted butter sounds better than butter. 99% of the time these differences make not difference in the finished product.

Thanks for clearing things up that I was wondering about.

I agree with Andy and Larry. I just want to point out that the sesame oil for flavouring is toasted sesame seed oil. I mention that because, I bought the untoasted one the first time and it has virtually no flavour. I have read that you can "toast" the oil, but I haven't tried it.

BTW, EVOO has a smoke point of 190–215 °C (374–419 °F) and has enough anti-oxidants that it produces far fewer free radicals at high heats than most oils, even those with higher smoke points. So, I use EVOO for almost all of my frying, as well as for salad dressings. I find that EVOO gets stale smelling faster if you don't use it on a regular basis.

Never heard of EVOO

You have to be careful with abbreviations. I used AF to refer to my air fryer and was scolded to be more careful when using abbreviations.

I´ll just echo what the others have said. You´re fine with the oils you´ve got. Olive oil, obviously, goes best with Mediterranean and Middle Eastern dishes. I´d happily use coconut oil for many Asian (and fish) dishes. Refined peanut oil is fine for general use, I´d say, although I picked up some Chinese peanut oil from the local market and it´s fantastic - REALLY smells and tastes of peanuts.
I know a lot of people love canola oil, but I´m not happy with that vaguely fishy smell it sometimes produces. Ghee is my favourite to cook with.
You´ve also got butter and lard - and even veg shortening to cook with.

Georgevan, In addition to everything said above, there are also substitutions for oil in many recipes. If you google [no oil recipe 'type you are looking for'], you will see possibilities.
Before Christmas I needed to find a peppernuts recipe without oil. I could substitute walnut butter in its place to reach a satisfactory peppernut. (highly spiced tiny cookie)

Today I made a zucchini-orange quick bread that doesn't call for oil or nuts.
Most of our main dishes have no oil in them, and obviously we don't fry anything.
Lots of options to your question.

Might I ask why?

Sure. We eat for our health. We were able to get off all medications, go from prediabetic to not, high blood pressure to normal, cardiovascular disease to healthy, lost all our excess weight. Pretty much all around, it's about health to us.

Very fast! but I find the expense doesn't warrant the use for frying. That being said, I buy the small and inherently more expensive bottle just because it does go rancid so quickly.

But, if I don't use it for frying, I don't use it nearly as often and that's when I find it goes stale. I'd rather use it all the time and never have it go stale. I usually buy the 1 litre bottle. It has been many years since EVOO has gone stale in my kitchen.

I can't recall when I bought olive oil which wasn't evoo.

In my old age, I have pared oil usage down to vegetable and evoo.

I seldom fry anything anymore but do saute often using evoo and butter.

I have not had evoo go bad at any time I can remember.

Ross

I have come to the conclusion that I just don't care for Olive Oil.
Light, Virgin, Extra or not. Brand new bottles even 2 different Artisanal (home bottled from kegs shipped in from their olive groves) that everyone was standing around praising....

afraid they all tasted 'off' to me. :huh:

Back
Top Bottom