Question about roux

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JustJoel

Executive Chef
We discussed this in another thread, but I have a very specific question, so I started a new thread. Hope that’s okay!

If I make a lot of white or blonde roux and refrigerate or freeze it, can I later bring some of it to room temp, then continue to cook it until I have a brown roux?

Sounds like it should work. I wouldn't even bother bringing it to room temperature before continuing to cook it. I like this idea. I'll have to try it.

This would be a good application for Alton Brown's oven method. You could make a large amount and control to what color you want to make it very easy.

This would be a good application for Alton Brown's oven method. You could make a large amount and control to what color you want to make it very easy.
ATK has one recipe for gumbo. They don’t use traditional roux; instead they bake the flour until it’s peanut butter colored. I haven’t tried it because, frankly, I find it hard to believe one can get the rich taste of a dark roux made with butter or oil from baked flour. But here’s a link to the video should you want to try it! If you do, or if you’ve already done it, let me know how it worked!

I made a cup of blonde roux last night and let it sit out until it cooled. Perhaps I used too much butter, or not enough flour; there’s a thin film of butter on top. I was also surprised that it turned semi-solid at room temp. Don’t know why I was surprised. Butter is semi-solid at room temp, and flour is solid. Duh!

Anyway, it’s in the fridge now; I’ll see how well it turns to a dark roux in a couple of days when I make some gumbo!

When roux sits for a while, fat separates out and sits on top. Just pour it off and continue.

Remember that a dark roux will not be useful as a thickener, only as a flavor enhancer.

I learned that the hard way when trying to make turkey gravy one Thanksgiving.

Remember that a dark roux will not be useful as a thickener, only as a flavor enhancer.

Thanks for the reminder. I’ve got some okra that helps to thicken, and (don’t tell New Orleans) I’ve been known to add potatoes to help thicken it, too.

Sounds like the kind of error a newlywed might make. Don't ask me how I know. And don't ask about forgetting to remove the core of the apples for my first apple pie either. Well, at least I did remember to peel them.

I can hear you laughing!

Last edited:
I always make more roux than required to be certain I have enough for the dish.
I always save the extra in a small container in the fridge.
When I need to thicken something I use it. Its very hard, like cold bacon grease. But works just as well on the third dish as it did for the first dish I made it for.

I make a blonde roux. but it can be darkened on the stove if needed.
I am very hesitant to start a dish by making a roux like is done when making Gumbo.
I would be afraid I made less or more than needed. So I use my roux near the end so I can adjust the effect as needed.

Last edited:
I always make more roux than required to be certain I have enough for the dish.
I always save the extra in a small container in the fridge.
When I need to thicken something I use it. Its very hard, like cold bacon grease. But works just as well on the third dish as it did for the first dish I made it for.

I make a blonde roux. but it can be darkened on the stove if needed.
I am very hesitant to start a dish by making a roux like is done when making Gumbo.
I would be afraid I made less or more than needed. So I use my roux near the end so I can adjust the effect as needed.
You typically need two tablespoons of roux per cup of liquid.

You typically need two tablespoons of roux per cup of liquid.

Thanks. The parameters will be of help.
For me its hard to gauge exactly how much liquid I will add along with liquids released from veggies, seafood or meats.

So I thicken at the end. Thanks again GG.

One of the good things about roux is that you can make a large quantity and keep it in the fridge/freezer for a long time and just add it as needed. You don't have to make just the exact amount for a recipe.

Back
Top Bottom