Question about olive oil

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Is it safe and edible to put raw olive oil or uncooked olive oil onto food? If so witch form of olive oil is healthier? I use to go to this restaurant in the local mall near me a couple of times and the food I ordered came with bread as well as olive oil that I would dip the bread in, if i remember right the waiter used raw olive oil straight from the bottle so then that would of been raw i suppose.

If I wanted bread with olive oil for dipping, I would expect it to come straight from the bottle. The same is true for a salad dressing. You would only cook olive oil to cook another food item in it, such as frying a piece of meat, fish or poultry.

I use raw olive oil for dipping bread, in vinaigrette, as a finishing touch to some meals, as an ingredient in other food that won't be cooked, like hummus. I have never heard that this could be a problem.

Extra Virgin Olive Oil is the healthiest one as far as I know.

I keep two kinds of olive oil on hand--extra virgin and regular. I use the regular to saute or use in other cooked dishes. The extra virgin Is for drizzling over a finished dish or to use as a dipping oil. Bread dipped in extra virgin with freshly ground black pepper, or infused with finely diced garlic is wonderful!
I've never heard of olive oil, either kind, being unhealthy nor unsafe.

You have cold pressed and hot pressed Olivenoil both have diffrent characteristics for diffrent use. And can handle diffrent type of heat for cooking.

Yes, it is safe and edible to put raw or uncooked olive oil on food. The healthiest form of olive oil is extra-virgin olive oil, which is cold-pressed from the olives and has a stronger flavor than other types of olive oil. It contains more antioxidants and is less processed than other types of olive oil, making it a more healthful option.

Ask a nutritionist or dietician if health is something you consider an important issue.
Olive oil oxidizes with heating it. Eat it raw instead.
Eat it sparingly.
The best form of olive oil is in the olive. Eat an olive.
I eat olives but haven't used olive oil in 4 years.
I'm healthy.

While it is true that olive oil oxidizes when heated, so do all oils. Olive oil oxidizes more slowly with heat that most oils.

While it is true that olive oil oxidizes when heated, so do all oils. Olive oil oxidizes more slowly with heat that most oils.
I've seen no studies saying olive oil oxidizes more slowly with heat than most oils.
Culturally, we must eat oils. (or not)

Is it safe and edible to put raw olive oil or uncooked olive oil onto food? If so witch form of olive oil is healthier? I use to go to this restaurant in the local mall near me a couple of times and the food I ordered came with bread as well as olive oil that I would dip the bread in, if i remember right the waiter used raw olive oil straight from the bottle so then that would of been raw i suppose.
This may answer your questions about olive oil.

Ask a nutritionist or dietician if health is something you consider an important issue.
Olive oil oxidizes with heating it. Eat it raw instead.
Eat it sparingly.
The best form of olive oil is in the olive. Eat an olive.
I eat olives but haven't used olive oil in 4 years.
I'm healthy.
I agree with this. I never fry anything with olive oil.

I fry/saute everything using virgin olive oil.
using extra virgin is a total waste - the aromatics that make olive oil "extra virgin" go away at higher temps.
all oils will convert radicals at temperature. all.
there is an actual real scientific time point where that happens - and pan frying something for a couple minutes just never gets there.
to sear a steak, I have a simple method:
heat pan with olive oil until it smokes, then I know the pan is up to temp.

Last edited:
I fry/saute everything using virgin olive oil.
using extra virgin is a total waste - the aromatics that make olive oil "extra virgin" go away at higher temps.
all oils will convert radicals at temperature. all.
there is an actual real scientific time point where that happens - and pan frying something for a couple minutes just never gets there.
to sear a steak, I have a simple method:
heat pan with olive oil until it smokes, then I know the pan is up to temp.
I fry/sauté every using EVOO. The price of virgin olive oil isn't enough less that it makes it worth it to me to have more bottles of olive oil open at once.

Back
Top Bottom