Pumpkin Dump Cake

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Golfgar4

Senior Cook
I also did another new recipe today because we're going to a neighbors for dinner and we wanted to bring something a little extra. This recipe is for a Pumpkin Dump Cake.

It turned out very well also. My wife thinks I should plan on doing it for Thanksgiving. If I end up doing all of the recipes for Thanksgiving that she thinks I should do, I won't have time to eat anything and I'll need about 4 more dutch ovens! Ooooooooo........;)

I probably would consider doing this in a 10" dutch oven if I want it to look more like a traditional cake. Otherwise it was just fine.

Pumpkin Dump Cake

12” dutch oven

Ingredients
1 15 oz can Pumpkin Puree
1 10 oz can Evaporated Milk
1 cup light brown sugar
3 eggs (slightly beaten)
3 tsp pumpkin pie spice
1 box yellow cake mix
1 cup (2 sticks) butter melted
1 cup coarsely crushed graham crackers or pecans (walnuts are good too)
1/2 cup toffee bits (optional)

In a large bowl combine the pumpkin, evaporated milk, sugar, eggs and pumpkin pie spice. Stir to combine.
Pour into a 12” dutch oven that is either greased or lined with aluminum foil or parchment paper.
Sprinkle your entire box of cake mix on top, followed by your nuts or graham crackers and toffee chips.
Pour your melted butter evenly on top.
Bake at 350ºF ( 17 coals on lid, 8 coals underneath ) for 45-50 minutes until center is set and edges are lightly browned.

Attachments

• P1110122.jpg
    P1110122.jpg
    92.1 KB · Views: 391
Gary that looks fantastic!

Did you bake it in the oven or over the coals?

I have tried campfire baking a couple of times with very bad results. Do you have any TNT campfire recipes and techniques for yeast rolls, biscuits or cornbread?

Man that looks good but I wouldn't dare do anything but pumpkin pie for Thanksgiving dessert. Guess I'll try it the week before Thanksgiving. ;)

Gary that looks fantastic!

Did you bake it in the oven or over the coals?

I have tried campfire baking a couple of times with very bad results. Do you have any TNT campfire recipes and techniques for yeast rolls, biscuits or cornbread?

I did bake it outside with coals Aunt Bea. It is my favorite way to cook.

I do have a "few" recipes for rolls, biscuits, cornbread, and other that I'll be happy to post.

So the cake mix gets some moisture to it OK? I can't see the melted butter saturating the cake mix, so am assuming the cooking process works its magic.

So the cake mix gets some moisture to it OK? I can't see the melted butter saturating the cake mix, so am assuming the cooking process works its magic.

Actually, the evaporated milk provides the majority of the required moisture, but the quantity of the butter helps too.

Thanks. Ii was thinking the mix would simply sit on top dry, as the milk goes in first with the other ingredients. I guess I won't know 'til I try.

I first had this desert baked in a glass, rectangular baking dish, by my Mother. We loved it, and still make it occasionally. We make a host of dump cakes, apple pie filling with spice cake, peach, pear, cherry, blueberry, or lemmon pie filling with yellow cake, or cherry pie filling with chocolate cake.

All have broken walnuts on top, with the butter. The cake takes in very little moisture from the filling, but becomes wonderfully crispy and rich from the butter. We serve it with Chantilly Cream, or vanilla ice cream on the side. It's great hot, or cold.

I am now going to have to tackle it in my own dutch oven. Thanks for reminding me of a truly great recipe.

Oh, for thanksgiving, I have to make pumpkin pies. That rich pumpkin filling goes wonderfully with my flaky pie crust. Dump cake, no matter how good it is, can't compete with that, at least not with my family. But it's great for any other time you want something pumpkin.

Oh, and one other thing for pumpkin pie filling, add flour and baking powder to it, and it makes phenomenal waffles.

Seeeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Back
Top Bottom