Proper Temperature

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chief Longwind Of The North

Certified/Certifiable
I had an epiphany about food this evening. I was feeling a bit chilled and wanted some good,mhot chicken noodle soup. I added sage, and black pepper to theosup to add flavor, or so I thought.44

As I ate my bowl of soup, I thought about my choice of dinner. There were tastier offerings, but not as comforting. So, I examined my food choice and came to some conclusions. I then tested my theory by thinking about why I picked certain types of food at different times. I remember craving shake, malts, and other refreshing, wet, and cold foods when the weatjer is hot, or I'm warmer than I want to be On the other end of the spectrum, when the weather is cold, or I'm chilled, I want a hot, hearty meal, like a think soup, or one with ingredients that will convey warmth to my core, like mashed potatoes with gravy, or chili, or a good soup, or chili. Carbs are also needed when it's cold outside. Fresh veggies, salad, so important cold, fresh fruit, a wet, juicy coleslaw when it's hot outside.

When the weather is hot, we want our milk ice cold. When it's cold out, the milk is better hot. Milk gives its best flavor around 45', but we don't drink it usually for best flavor. We drink it to refresh, or to warm us.

Cold spaghetti with meat sauce tastes great straight from the fridge. But we like it steaming hot on a chilly night.

Pie is great at room temperature. But ice cold from the fridge, or piping hot, it's an indulgence that is so much better.

So, what are your observations on food, and when you want them?

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

But milk gives its best flavor at l

I drink iced tea year round, no matter how cold it is out!

I don't like anything so hot that it burns (temp burns, that is, not peppers). My parents were from that era that if things were not steamy hot when served, they had gotten cold, even if still burning my mouth! I always let things cool some, before eating, plus spicy hot foods need to be cooled even more, since capsaicin makes food feel even warmer.

A lot of things that are good cold, are a little better with the chill taken off slightly. With a lot of the salads I make in the summer, with the olive oil getting gelled, I put a bowl in the MW for just 10 or 12 seconds, let it sit a couple of minutes, then another 10 seconds in the MW (all at once makes hot spots). I do this with ice cream that is rock hard - just a few seconds in the MW makes it edible.

The first thing that comes to mind is the adage to drink hot tea when it is hot outside. Principle being as you sweat the air cools you.

Bah humbug... I'm already sweating and I don't need something hot to make me sweat more! so thank you very much but no thanks!

Yes, women perspire and men sweat, another humbug - women sweat too! :rolleyes:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom