Proper shaker for sugar/cinnamon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
What would be a good shaker for a sugar/cinnamon mix, for a family kitchen? One that can be closed would be nice to prevent humidity. My family likes to make cinnamon toast, and I can think of other times it might have been nice. I think the pour hole size is a consideration?

I bought a Schilling Cinnamon & Sugar mix and then I just keep refilling it with my own mix. I just like that it was labeled properly, but you could probably use other spice jars just remove the label.

I use an old salt shaker that lost it's mate. It doesn't have a cover, but I've never noticed any clumping. I keep it in the pantry. I also fill the jar only ¼ of the way and use it quickly enough that the cinnamon flavor stays strong.

Also, welcome to DC, Awesome.

I used to use and old shaker that has very large holes, don't remember the spice that came in it, but like you say it has a screw on lid.

Screw on lids are essential for kids when getting out and putting away. LOL (or even the flip top ones, but they have a tendency to break off with constant use)

and yeah, I can see you might want to keep it tight in the humidity of Florida.

I have seen people use a couple of whole coffee beans in a sugar container to keep it from clumping. It's a similar to the trick of putting rice in the salt shaker. I haven't tried it, so I can't say for sure that it works.

Coffee beans? LOL Wow! Wonder if it flavoured the sugar. Better off to put dry kidney beans or some other large type.

I bought a Schilling Cinnamon & Sugar mix and then I just keep refilling it with my own mix. I just like that it was labeled properly, but you could probably use other spice jars just remove the label.

Welp, this is basically what I did. I did a recipe last night that happened to empty one of my McCormick cinnamon shakers, and I just reused it. So I'm a happy camper now.

Back
Top Bottom