Proper Non-stick Pan

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Snackmeister

Assistant Cook
Anybody out there know of any reliable non-stick pans? I've tried a few and they lasted for maybe a week or two before I needed to use a solid layer of cooking oil to make things not stick. Granted they weren't super expensive pans. If anyone has any recommendations it would be greatly appreciated.

Hi Snackmeister, and welcome to Discuss Cooking.
:flowers:
Gosh, even the least expensive non-stick pans should last longer than a couple of weeks, as long as you're using teflon or wooden utensils on them and not exposing the pans to excessive heat.

Walmart has sets of 2 different sizes for maybe $20 or so - I don't remember the brand name.....but again, they need a certain amount of care and they will last at least a year or more.

I have a few of those, but my favorite non stick skillet is a heavy Calphalon. I think it was around $30 at Marshalls several years ago and is still blemish free and non stick.

Last edited:
Ooops, I just looked and it's All Clad, not Calphalon. Nice non stick skillet, though. :)

I have 2 (9 1/2”) Scanpans for over 10 years. I use for eggs. I do use some butter to cook with. No problems.

5B7CFCFE-54BD-4C51-AFD6-9CE1C1B06059.jpeg

I got them at a “try me” price of $35.00 each. Not bad for 10 years of use.

Last edited:
My non-sticks are from the restaurant supply store, and they last for years. My mom uses Analon non-stick, and they seem to work well. I never have problems with them when I cook in her kitchen.

Keep in mind, they work best at medium to low heat. I don't use them to sear meats, where you need high heat.

With my non-stick pans, at the most, I use a little bit of butter when I cook eggs, which is more for flavor than sticking. I'll also use a little OO to sauté onions and other veggies, but again, it is more for flavor.

My best advice is don't use non-stick pans for high-heat cooking. If you want to char a steak, use cast-iron. Ceramic coated cast-iron like le Crueset is somewhat non-stick -- or at least easy to clean after you char something, and leave some crust behind.

CD

ATK recommends the Oxo non stick pan. I have one, and am quite happy with it ($32 at BB&B with the 20% off coupon). The T-Fal gets high recommendations, but it has a convex bottom, which I don't want.

I've had 3 of THESE (8", 12", and 14")for several years now with no real problems. The 12" one is about 8 years old, and has lost some of its slipperiness, but it still works for most things, including scrambled eggs. All pans need a little oil, even the best nonstick. I only use wood and plastic/silicone utensils and avoid high heat, especially when the pan is dry.

I have 2 (9 1/2”) Scanpans for over 10 years. I use for eggs. I do use some butter to cook with. No problems.

View attachment 30132

I got them at a “try me” price of $35.00 each. Not bad for 10 years of use.

My Scanpan lasted all of a month before eggs started...nevermind. That's a good price. They retail for a lot more than that. In a review, I said that if you heat the pan up beyond a certain temp, a Scanpan won't non-stick anymore. I heated it up just a little too high, I guess. I was dissapointed. Scan Pans are very finicky with regards to heat. A few degrees too high and they are no longer non-stick. My experience with that expensive brand. Yes, I used butter or oil. I tried making hash brown potatoes. Afterwards, I had problems with the non-stick.

Last edited:
I own a set of the large and smaller Calophon fry pans now. They do better than my tossed set of ScanPans, sorry to say. I wanted to like them. Again I say, ScanPans cost a lot.

Last edited:
I've had 3 of THESE (8", 12", and 14")for several years now with no real problems. The 12" one is about 8 years old, and has lost some of its slipperiness, but it still works for most things, including scrambled eggs. All pans need a little oil, even the best nonstick. I only use wood and plastic/silicone utensils and avoid high heat, especially when the pan is dry.

Thanks for the recommendation. My wife is from the planet Teflon, so she is widely known as a destroyer of all things non-stick. I've thrown in the towel and just expect any n/s pans I buy will soon meet their death.

Larger, less expensive pans works for me.

We purchased a Scanpan many years ago. It was an oven proof 14" skillet, with lid and cost $300.00. You can use metal utensils in it and it is the best non-stick pan we've ever had.

We purchased a Scanpan many years ago. It was an oven proof 14" skillet, with lid and cost $300.00. You can use metal utensils in it and it is the best non-stick pan we've ever had.
I am not sure if mine are oven proof but I am very happy with them. It has been at least 10 years. I use them mostly for eggs and crepe making.

I bought a Farberware non-stick pan for about $25 at Walmart at least 15 years ago and it's doing great. I use it only for eggs and crepes, with wooden or silicon utensils. High heat does damage the non-stick coating, so it never goes in the oven. If I'm making something that requires the oven, I use my cast-iron skillet, a stainless steel skillet or sauté pan, or my new(ish) Le Creuset enameled cast iron braiser, which I love [emoji7] Hope this helps.

Last edited:
I am not sure if mine are oven proof but I am very happy with them. It has been at least 10 years. I use them mostly for eggs and crepe making.

Another vote for scan pans here. Love mine and they are durable. :chef:

Another vote for scan pans here. Love mine and they are durable. :chef:

I shouldn't have used them for frying hash browns, I guess. I mean, how many people's reviews do you read mentioning they use them for frying chicken, hashbrowns, fish, fries, etc? With my experience, using a ScanPan like you would a skillet, for frying, equaled fail with me. The temp got a little to high. The pan was ruined. Too finicky a pan for me, for that price. My experience, and many others.

Last edited:
I use mine on high heat and while I see a little discoloration over time, the classic pan doesn't seem to warp are lose it's non-stick properties. I cook on a gas stove with big btu burners. That said, I had another model of scan pan once (pro model) that did not perform as well. The pan warped. i think their lines of pans are constructed differently and this may account for some complaints and genuine performance issues..

scanpan.jpg

I use mine on high heat and while I see a little discoloration over time, the classic pan doesn't seem to warp are lose it's non-stick properties. I cook on a gas stove with big btu burners. That said, I had another model of scan pan once (pro model) that did not perform as well. The pan warped. i think their lines of pans are constructed differently and this may account for some complaints and genuine performance issues..

View attachment 30220
That's the one I have (the one on the right) nothing special classic Scanpan. No problems.

I buy a set of 3 aluminium fry pans, 12-, 10, and 8-inch, with non-tick coating for around $21.00 at Target.

When they wear out, I toss them in the recycle bin and buy new ones.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom