Prime Rib

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kimk74

Assistant Cook
Ok, so I invested, yes invested, in a 17.11 lbs prime Rib today for Christmas Dinner. The bone is tied on. I know how to prepare and roast it, but it's the largest I've ever cooked.

I have to roast it at 500° for 1.45 hours. My concern is my pan. I have a roasting pan, but it's coated. Can I just use a disposable, aluminum pan?

Yes, I know I can't move it to the stove top for making the sauce.

My concern is the roasting of it.

Ok, so I invested, yes invested, in a 17.11 lbs prime Rib today for Christmas Dinner. The bone is tied on. I know how to prepare and roast it, but it's the largest I've ever cooked.

I have to roast it at 500° for 1.45 hours. My concern is my pan. I have a roasting pan, but it's coated. Can I just use a disposable, aluminum pan?

Yes, I know I can't move it to the stove top for making the sauce.

My concern is the roasting of it.
Silver color roast slower than dark colored pans. You should use a sheet pan under the disposable to support the weight.

I just guess that you are going to pour the meat juices into another pot for making the sauce and return the prime rib to the roasting pan to rest.

almost 2 hours at 500? that would make me very nervous. I know you probably had to re-mortgage the house so I'm not sure about that 2 hours. I'm am not an expert on Prime Ribs but still.... I guess if Andy and cookiecrafter aren't surprised then perhaps it is OK?

almost 2 hours at 500? that would make me very nervous. I know you probably had to re-mortgage the house so I'm not sure about that 2 hours. I'm am not an expert on Prime Ribs but still.... I guess if Andy and cookiecrafter aren't surprised then perhaps it is OK?
I've used the 500f for 5-6 minutes per pound method where you turn off the oven and use the residual heat, 2 hours undisturbed, to finish cooking with good results.

1671629690750.png

Be sure to start with a clean oven and a room-temperature roast.

Also, consider cooking two smaller roasts so you can shorten the time at 500f and have 4 end cuts instead of 2.

OK, so at 6 min. per lb for 18 lbs = an hour and then lock the door? Sure sounds a bit better.
But if cut into 2 roasts I would cut the time... maybe only 45 min?

@CraigC
Preheat oven to 500°
Roast seasoned prime rib for 5 minutes.
Lower temp to *200°.
Roast 1 hour per pound.

*I would need verification from Craig to be certain its 200° or 250°.

The whole roast would run an hour and a half to an hour and 45 minutes at 500f. So yes, it would cut the time by about 45 minutes if you were working with 2 smaller roasts. Another advantage of having two smaller roasts is that you can choose them both from the end of the critter that you prefer. The trade off is losing the presentation of carving one large roast at the table.

1671636643474.jpeg

Except Aunt Bea, she already has the roast in one piece, she can't choose ends now! LOL

But heat will also enter thru the 2 new end pieces, so I still think the time could be reduced.

Cutting it into two roasts - presumably to make it shorter - does not change the time it needs to cook. It's still as thick as the original roast.

I've been using the reverse sear method for several years and it works perfectly. In my opinion, it's more reliable than the sear-and-roast method.
The reverse sear method sounds the safest too. I have reverse seared steaks, following Kenji's instructions for that, and it worked perfectly. So, I am sure this will work perfectly for prime rib roast as well.

I'm telling you, it comes out perfect!!! Look up Chef John's Prime Rib. I've made it for years.

So! shiver me timbers an' I'll have another slice, please! Chef John's looks delish. Hope yours hold true!
kimk74, gotta let us know how it goes with the big one there.
and btw...

Welcome to DC, kimk74!

Cutting it into two roasts - presumably to make it shorter - does not change the time it needs to cook. It's still as thick as the original roast.

I've been using the reverse sear method for several years and it works perfectly. In my opinion, it's more reliable than the sear-and-roast method.
This high heat then low heat method was all the rage a few years ago. It went viral on the internet. I found it just OK, not great. Some roasts ar thicker, some thinner. There is a large end and a small end cut. Fat needs to render more if there is more marbling. Some people like to actually control the degree of doneness, not just accept what you get from this gimmick.

The reverse sear method is much better and also more consistent, and you can control the doneness. I, too, use the reverse seat, with much better results.

I didn't address the cooking time/temp. and I don't endorse it.

It's dangerous to cook roasts based on time and oven temperature. The best way to do it is by monitoring the internal temperature of the roast with a remote thermometer.

I use and recommend the reverse sear method. I use it every Christmas.

Also, If you cut a long roast in half, you are exposing two more surfaces to direct heat and that should reduce the cooking time.

We have prime rib every Christmas but I think it’s gross so I don’t get to cook it. They definitely need to get a better sear on it.

roasting a standing rib roast aka prime rib has as many approaches as boiling an egg.
Andy nailed it. cooking by the clock is seriously deficient.

Point #1 to the: (billion) degrees then off/low for x hours - this could work if your fridge and oven are precisely in sync with the 'author' - however, I have one oven and I need to fix/cook/bake lots of other things in the same period - so "Do Not Open the Oven" is a total nonstarter.

this year's subject (four bone, ~17 pounds / 7.7kg:
PrRib2022.jpg

previously cooked up like:
DSC_4075.JPG

using a remote cable thermometer, like:
DSC_4071.JPG

producing an Excel chart like:
graph1.jpg

adjust oven temp up/down to hit the temp&time mark.

roasting a standing rib roast aka prime rib has as many approaches as boiling an egg.
Andy nailed it. cooking by the clock is seriously deficient.

Point #1 to the: (billion) degrees then off/low for x hours - this could work if your fridge and oven are precisely in sync with the 'author' - however, I have one oven and I need to fix/cook/bake lots of other things in the same period - so "Do Not Open the Oven" is a total nonstarter.

this year's subject (four bone, ~17 pounds / 7.7kg:
View attachment 62933
previously cooked up like:
View attachment 62934
using a remote cable thermometer, like:
View attachment 62935
producing an Excel chart like:
View attachment 62936
adjust oven temp up/down to hit the temp&time mark.
Looks over cooked for 116°

+4 on the reverse sear. The high heat first method gives you a gray, and overcooked outer layer. Reverse searing gives you an even medium rare throughout the entire roast.

I've seen that Chef John's recipe on allrecipes.com. It's a crap method that gives you an overcooked outer layer of beef. It sucks.

This is the way to go: https://www.seriouseats.com/perfect-prime-rib-beef-recipe

It's how all the top prime rib houses like Lawry's makes it. Low and slow, then seared at the end.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom