Prices of Grills?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chef Munky

Honey Badger
I remember the days a when a Weber grill was maybe $80.00.
Looked yesterday at a local store the smallest one was well over $100.00
Why is it every brand I've been looking at are so expensive now?
Not just charcoal. Propane, and pellets,smokers have gone up to.
Is it too early in the year?

We had to get another 22 inch Weber charcoal grill not long ago as it was pretty old and part of the air control system rusted and fell out. First one I found was about the same price as the previous. I thought wow everything else has gone up wonder why the grill didn't. Kept looking because I always want to get the best deal. Found some at about the same price as the first I looked at, but also found a lot that were almost $100 more. Hmm. Looked closer. Weber grills of the kind Craig has always had were made from steel. They have started making cheaper ones out of aluminum. So, make sure you read all the details before you buy.

I remember the days a when a Weber grill was maybe $80.00.
Looked yesterday at a local store the smallest one was well over $100.00
Why is it every brand I've been looking at are so expensive now?
Not just charcoal. Propane, and pellets,smokers have gone up to.
Is it too early in the year?

You can probably get a slightly better price when it's grilling season in your area, but it's not going to be much.

LOL, not exactly the original Hibachi. A lttle awkward and maybe more but probably close to the same weight.

You are just full of gems, aren't yuh Aunt Bea!

LOL, not exactly the original Hibachi. A lttle awkward and maybe more but probably close to the same weight.

You are just full of gems, aren't yuh Aunt Bea!
I’ve had more fun in my life with ‘awkward’ improvised grills than I’ve had with those stainless steel outdoor kitchens.

IMO once you get past the testosterone, a grill is just a grill. ?

SO bought me a Weber Original 22" charcoal grill about 10 years ago. It cost about $120-$130. Now they are about $140. (Ace Hardware). Not bad.

You must be going back more than 10 years or thinking of a smaller model for an $80 one.

It’s time to step back in time and improvise.

View attachment 63635
“ Do what you can, with what you've got, where you are.” - Theodore Roosevelt
A few months back, my son ( Who lives in an apartment building, with an enclosed balcony , when asked if he had anything interesting for dinner this past week, he told me his gf barbecued some dishes. I then asked, does the complex you live in have some common grills set up for the residents to use. His reply was, no, we did it on out (enclosed ) balcony and sent pics. Ceramic flower pot, charcoal and a metal grid. Their grill didnt impress me as much as how they didnt either set fire to the building or smoke tthe place out (no ventilation, and Im pretty sure he told me hey didnt open the windows. Just shook my head and asked how everything tasted. He's one of those really bright kids, with little common sense. Does without thinking of potential consequences.

Attachments

• WechatIMG7549.jpeg
    WechatIMG7549.jpeg
    102.6 KB · Views: 6
  • WechatIMG7548.jpeg
    WechatIMG7548.jpeg
    80.2 KB · Views: 6
A few months back, my son ( Who lives in an apartment building, with an enclosed balcony , when asked if he had anything interesting for dinner this past week, he told me his gf barbecued some dishes. I then asked, does the complex you live in have some common grills set up for the residents to use. His reply was, no, we did it on out (enclosed ) balcony and sent pics. Ceramic flower pot, charcoal and a metal grid. Their grill didnt impress me as much as how they didnt either set fire to the building or smoke tthe place out (no ventilation, and Im pretty sure he told me hey didnt open the windows. Just shook my head and asked how everything tasted. He's one of those really bright kids, with little common sense. Does without thinking of potential consequences.
Our parents and grandparents respected fire and we’ve allowed that respect to become fear. Time marches on …

I think that a similar clay pot contraption was used as a heater in Korean homes years ago.

The pot filled with glowing charcoal was placed under a table. A quilted cloth was placed over the table. People would sit at the table with the quilt in their laps and the heat from the clay pot kept them warm.

SO bought me a Weber Original 22" charcoal grill about 10 years ago. It cost about $120-$130. Now they are about $140. (Ace Hardware). Not bad.

You must be going back more than 10 years or thinking of a smaller model for an $80 one.
I wasn't thinking of the smaller one. We had the big one.
That one was bought in 2000. $80.00.
Had it until just a few years ago. It was donated to the Out patient Rehabilitation Center they didn't have one.
Had a huge Bbq party using it on his last day.

I have an aluminum clam-shell grill - Sears Kenmore - from the 1970's.
replaced all the nuts/bolts with stainless steel after 2-3 years.
had a stainless ash pan custom made decades ago . . .

wire brush it - re-spray with hi-temp paint 'as needed'
it's obsolete - grates/ash rates not available - I buy stock 'new' stuff and cut it down to fit with a metal cutting wheel . . . every fifteen years or so . . .

I look in the big box stores at all the pretty stainless steel multi-zone, side burner stuff . . .
all the nuts bolts screws axles etc etc are electro-galvanized junk that will rust near immediately . . . pretty stainless panels attached to stamped steel sides . .
it's a joke. there is quality, and there is junk-quality.

Our parents and grandparents respected fire and we’ve allowed that respect to become fear. Time marches on …

I think that a similar clay pot contraption was used as a heater in Korean homes years ago.

The pot filled with glowing charcoal was placed under a table. A quilted cloth was placed over the table. People would sit at the table with the quilt in their laps and the heat from the clay pot kept them warm.
A "hibachi" is, in Japan, a small heating device, pretty much as you describe the Korean clay pot contraption. They weren't for cooking. But, they were sometimes used for heating water for tea.

Back
Top Bottom