Preserved lemons with a significant amount of oil

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SEEING-TO-BELIEVE

Head Chef
i've tried to get an answer for this elsewhere but got confused by different opinions.

i've made canned sliced lemon jar with 1/3 of oil.. and the rest filled with lemon juice and a bit of water.
i've used coarse salt for the canning..

i've put it in the fridge for two days but been told that it should be outside even if it's hot outside the fridge, so i transffered it outside yesterday.

will my lemons get preserved well or do i need to start from scratch?

and also..
how long wll it take until i can use it as a pasta sauce in a recipe?

thanks

Attachments

• 978b0f6c-83b1-43fb-81fb-c739aeda9a37.jpeg
    978b0f6c-83b1-43fb-81fb-c739aeda9a37.jpeg
    83 KB · Views: 3
I've only ever preserved lemons in salt and it's own juice. I've never heard of using oil, so no help from me on that part. But salt alone will preserve it on the counter. A lot of salt. But for long term I end up putting it in the fridge.

I've never used it in pasta so can't help you there.

No, I personally would not try to remove the oil just in hopes it would work. The oil would carry some little bad guys that the acid in the juice would not neutralize.
Sorry, but I think you should start from scratch.
Perhaps you can use the lemons you have now in another way. Also within the next little while, just as you would fresh lemons. and at this point keep them in the fridge.

I don't know where you got the idea of adding lemon - I think you were trying to compress too many recipes into one and mixed a recipe to be used immediately with a preserving one.

I've never heard of using oil in preserved lemons either. Salt, sometimes some sugar, which I actually prefer, and the lemons. The last time I made them, I used the below recipe and really preferred it over what I had made previously. It's also from a very reputable site.

There have been outbreaks of botulism in the past when chopped garlic was stored in oil and left out.

Last edited:
Her recipe is not about preserving the lemons. Preserving means to be able to keep for extended times past the normal "shelf" life of the object.

You are just making instant pickled lemon slices with her recipe. In which case the oil is just part of the flavour. They are ready to eat in 4 days and then can keep 5 days after opening in the refrigerator.

Again, these are NOT meant for long term preserving.

Back
Top Bottom