Preparing pancake ingredients.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cooking4Fun

Senior Cook
I wanted to prepare pancake ingredients a day in advance to speed things along. The dry ingredients are easy, but of the following wet ingredients what can I premix a day before?

Milk
Eggs
Melted butter
Vanilla extract

I don't see why you can't mix all of the ingredients together the day before. I make the batter for a Dutch baby pancake the night before I bake it and it's better than freshly mixed because of the resting time.

I would mix the dry ingredients together in a bowl, and mix the wet ingredients together in a separate bowl and refrigerate. My TNT recipe uses 2 T. oil which would be easier to deal with than butter. Mix the two bowls together when you go to cook the pancakes.

You don't want to activate the baking powder and baking soda much before you cook the pancakes.

I would mix the dry ingredients together in a bowl, and mix the wet ingredients together in a separate bowl and refrigerate. My TNT recipe uses 2 T. oil which would be easier to deal with than butter. Mix the two bowls together when you go to cook the pancakes.

You don't want to activate the baking powder and baking soda much before you cook the pancakes.

That would be my concern as well. Maybe the baking soda and baking powder could be stirred into the already completely mixed batter in the morning before use.

I've done this for camping, and it works great. I use the pre-mixed ingredients, and plain water to make pancakes as good as at home with this recipe.

Ingredients:
1 cup AP flour
1/2 tsp. salt
1 tbs. double acting baking powder
3 tbs. cooking oil
1/3 cup freeze dried milk
2 tbs. powdered egg

Combine all ingredients in a zipper freezer bag. Massage to blend it all together. Add 1 cupp plus 2 tbs. water and stir to make batter.

This can be made in larger amounts, and stored in glass, sealed jars, stored in a dark, cool pantry for instant pancake/waffle mix.

Seeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

I've done this for camping, and it works great. I use the pre-mixed ingredients, and plain water to make pancakes as good as at home with this recipe.

Ingredients:
1 cup AP flour
1/2 tsp. salt
1 tbs. double acting baking powder
3 tbs. cooking oil
1/3 cup freeze dried milk
2 tbs. powdered egg

Combine all ingredients in a zipper freezer bag. Massage to blend it all together. Add 1 cupp plus 2 tbs. water and stir to make batter.

This can be made in larger amounts, and stored in glass, sealed jars, stored in a dark, cool pantry for instant pancake/waffle mix.

So, I was thinking of making up a batch of this and then making pancakes in the morning. I thought I had everything, and then I pulled out the egg stuff, and what I have is "Egg Replacer". Clearly not the same thing as Powdered Egg. Do you think I can use the Egg Replacer instead? If so, 1/1 or ???

Thanks! And, you can camp with us anytime, Chief! I'll supply the griddle! ;)

I've never used egg replacer, and so I' just don't know. I would assume you could use it, with the amounts in the product directions for one egg. I do know that you can find dried egg products in the camping section of big box stores. Mountain Houe brand is popular.

Last edited:
I've never used egg replacer, and so I' just don't know. I would assume you could use it, with the amounts in the product directions for one egg. I do know that you can find dried egg products in the camping section of big box stores. Mountain Houe brand is popular.

Thanks, Chief...it says 1-1/2 teaspoons + 2 tablespoons water equals 1 egg. Maybe I'll try looking at Walmart, next trip there...

much more pertinent question:
what are you doing while the "thing" you use to cook the pancakes is heating up?

I use a scale. I can measure out flour, re-tare, sugar, re-tare, baking powder. change bowl, re-tare, milk, egg, beat, add vanilla/almond.

combine and blend wet and dry ingredients like way long before my electric griddle is hot enough to do pancakes. and if I'm cooking bacon to accompany, like way triple/quadruple in the time it takes to combine the ingredients.

a rapid heating frying pan accommodating one pancake at a time is about the only way to beat the "make the mix" routine.

there has to be some other issues in play, because the time to make a pancake batter is not a limiting factor.

much more pertinent question:
what are you doing while the "thing" you use to cook the pancakes is heating up?

I use a scale. I can measure out flour, re-tare, sugar, re-tare, baking powder. change bowl, re-tare, milk, egg, beat, add vanilla/almond.

combine and blend wet and dry ingredients like way long before my electric griddle is hot enough to do pancakes. and if I'm cooking bacon to accompany, like way triple/quadruple in the time it takes to combine the ingredients.

a rapid heating frying pan accommodating one pancake at a time is about the only way to beat the "make the mix" routine.

there has to be some other issues in play, because the time to make a pancake batter is not a limiting factor.

On a square, or rectangular griddle, I can make four good sized pancakes at a time. As for timing the batter, I cook the bacon/sausage first, make sure the griddle is up to temp, mix water into the dry ingredients, cook pancakes. This is for my camping blend.

Back
Top Bottom