Pour-over Coffee

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

skilletlicker

Head Chef
Decided that, at least for lighter roasts, I prefer pour-over to French press.
IMG_20191005_075646700.jpg

CWS4322 said:
That's how we made coffee in Germany.
Himself used a plastic coffee cone just like your filter holder, sl. It's been serving us faithfully since 1966. Still use it in emergencies.

Yup. Nothing new, or complicated, or high tech about it. I'm surprised at how many people who are really serious about coffee use variations of that brewing method.

Pour over coffee was my favourite method for many, many years. But, I have an espresso machine and I like that coffee even better. I don't drink my espresso without diluting it. If I don't dilute it, the flavours overwhelm my taste buds. I can taste the subtle flavours much better when it's diluted. I'm also very picky about the beans not being roasted to dark (burnt to me).

I have a French press, and like the coffee from it, but I live alone and don't drink much coffee (although I will drink more in Winter). So, I usually pop a K-Cup into the Keurig and press a button. I usually drink decaf (caffeine hits me pretty hard), and Peet's has a dark roast decaf that is pretty robust in flavor.

CD

I have a French press, and like the coffee from it, but I live alone and don't drink much coffee (although I will drink more in Winter). So, I usually pop a K-Cup into the Keurig and press a button. I usually drink decaf (caffeine hits me pretty hard), and Peet's has a dark roast decaf that is pretty robust in flavor.

CD

I like my French press and when I first got the new roaster everything was coming out pretty dark, highlighting the chocolate notes and some of the beans had a slightly burnt flavor as well. The coffee bean supplier said that lighter roasts would bring out fruity tones. "Experts" like George Howell say that those fruity acidic flavors are more easily appreciated with lighter roasts and "pour-over" brewing. As I learned how to produce lighter roasts but still couldn't taste any blueberries, I decided to get the Kalita. Honestly, still have a long way to go but I'm learning and enjoying the varieties from both methods. I have some Berundi beans that are famous for those light flavors and have been trying to hone my skills a little more before roasting them.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom