Potato rolls

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Katie H

Site Moderator
Staff member
I live in the Heartland of the United States
KATIE’S POTATO ROLLS
(About 36 rolls)

1 pkg. (2¼ tsp.) active dry yeast
1½ cups warm water (105º)
2/3 cup granulated sugar
1½ tsp. salt
2/3 cup shortening (NOT butter
flavored)
2 eggs
1 cup lukewarm mashed potatoes*
7 to 7½ cups all-purpose flour

Dissolve yeast in warm water. Stir in sugar, salt, shortening, eggs, potatoes, and 4 cups of the flour. Beat until smooth. Mix in enough of the remaining flour to make dough easy to handle.

Turn dough onto lightly floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 5 minutes. Place in greased bowl; turn greased side up. Cover bowl tightly; refrigerate at least 8 hours or until ready to use. (Dough can be kept up to 5 days in refrigerator at 45º or below. (Keep covered.)
Punch dough down; divide into 36 equal parts and place in greased pan. Let rise in a warm, draft-free place for 1½ hours. Bake at 400º for 15 to 25 minutes until golden brown. Note: These rolls freeze very well.

* Boil potatoes in unsalted water until done, drain and mash without milk or butter for this recipe.

Okay, in recent years I have added all the roll ingredients to my bread machine and let it knead it. No first rise. I just remove the dough as it has been kneaded properly, then refrigerate as directed.

Love, love, love these rolls.

Enjoy. The holidays are just about upon us.

Very similar to spudnuts recipe. Your dinner roll recipe also makes great cinnamon rolls, sticky buns, and monkey bread (pull apart sweet rolls).

My DIL makes the same recipe. only rolling out the dough and cutting 3 inch circles. She then folds the circles in half and dips in melted butter. Knead the remaining dough together, roll out and cut more circles, or make strips to make garlic knots. Place in baking pan, let rise, abd bake to perfection. Absolutely yummy dinner rolls

Thanks for posting. That is a truly delectable recipe.

Seeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Thank you, Katie.

Can this recipe be divided in half without much reworking?

Sounds marvelous - like the idea of keeping in fridge 'til time allows baking. Also the freezing.

Eating for one is always challenging with the strong inclination to try a gazillion recipes not designed for that! :LOL:

Thanks Katie!

KATIE’S POTATO ROLLS
(About 36 rolls)
...Note: These rolls freeze very well...

...Okay, in recent years I have added all the roll ingredients to my bread machine and let it knead it. No first rise. I just remove the dough as it has been kneaded properly, then refrigerate as directed....
Two questions, Katie.

When you make them in the bread machine and say "no first rise", you're taking the dough out of the pan only 15 minutes or so into the dough cycle, right?

Also, do you freeze the rolls already baked and cooled, or do you freeze them as raw dough?

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
Two questions, Katie.

When you make them in the bread machine and say "no first rise", you're taking the dough out of the pan only 15 minutes or so into the dough cycle, right?

Also, do you freeze the rolls already baked and cooled, or do you freeze them as raw dough?

Thanks in advance!

For your first question, I guess 15 minutes is a good estimate. I simply watch the dough and when it seems as though it's completely kneaded I remove it fro the machine and put it in the fridge.

I've never frozen the unbaked dough. Actually, never thought of it. I always freeze the baked rolls.

i add some potato flakes (instant potatoes) to all my bread recipes as a matter of course.

KATIE’S POTATO ROLLS
(About 36 rolls)

1 pkg. (2¼ tsp.) active dry yeast
1½ cups warm water (105º)
2/3 cup granulated sugar
1½ tsp. salt
2/3 cup shortening (NOT butter
flavored)
2 eggs
1 cup lukewarm mashed potatoes*
7 to 7½ cups all-purpose flour

Dissolve yeast in warm water. Stir in sugar, salt, shortening, eggs, potatoes, and 4 cups of the flour. Beat until smooth. Mix in enough of the remaining flour to make dough easy to handle.

Turn dough onto lightly floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 5 minutes. Place in greased bowl; turn greased side up. Cover bowl tightly; refrigerate at least 8 hours or until ready to use. (Dough can be kept up to 5 days in refrigerator at 45º or below. (Keep covered.)
Punch dough down; divide into 36 equal parts and place in greased pan. Let rise in a warm, draft-free place for 1½ hours. Bake at 400º for 15 to 25 minutes until golden brown. Note: These rolls freeze very well.

* Boil potatoes in unsalted water until done, drain and mash without milk or butter for this recipe.

Okay, in recent years I have added all the roll ingredients to my bread machine and let it knead it. No first rise. I just remove the dough as it has been kneaded properly, then refrigerate as directed.

Love, love, love these rolls.

Enjoy. The holidays are just about upon us.

Any pictures by chance?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom