Potato pizza

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
They are, Addie, but I don't see any that express rhetoric or sarcasm. I wonder what they would look like? Any ideas?

This veggie dish reminds more of a Gaulette minus the pastry. I have seen Jacques Pepin do something similar with arranging the potato slices in a more orderly circular fashion. Then he sautéed them until crispy brown on the bottom. I have also seen them arranged on a wide, long restaurant style spatula. :angel:

A sneer or smirk might help. :angel:

Now I'd love to find those kind of emoticons!!!! There are many posts I'd love to answer to but don't. Just a reply of a smirk emoticon would express my feelings!

My, goodness aren't we both up early!! XOXO

Last edited:
Now I'd love to find those kind of emoticons!!!! There are many posts I'd love to answer to but don't. Just a reply of a smirk emoticon would express my feelings!

My, goodness aren't we both up early!! XOXO

I have been up since two a.m. XOXO back at ya! :angel:

Thanks, Addie. You must know by now that I love you.

About those emoticons? Where do you think we could find ones that possibly could express sarcasm or even rhetoric?

I can't think what they might look like, but it seems to me they could be very useful.

Any ideas???

Given that I rarely eat bread...and we'll be harvesting the potatoes soon, I might just have to give this a whirl.

Did you have a chance to try it yet? I might give it a whirl ... being celiac myself, "pizza" by any name is a treat!

Did you have a chance to try it yet? I might give it a whirl ... being celiac myself, "pizza" by any name is a treat!
That's why I shared the link for those who are ciliac, gluten intolerant. Thought it might be something that folks would like to try without the hassle of making gluten-free crust. No, I haven't tried it, yet--still working my way through the veggies that are frost sensitive (gotta deal with those before the frost). Potatoes are underground, so I can harvest those after the frost-sensitive. But, I do intend to give it a try.

Last edited:
That's why I shared the link for those who are ciliac, gluten intolerant. Thought it might be something that folks would like to try without the hassle of making gluten-free crust. No, I haven't tried it, yet--still working my way through the veggies that are frost sensitive (gotta deal with those before the frost). Potatoes are underground, so I can harvest those after the frost-sensitive. But, I do intend to give it a try.

Wow! such critics, eh?? lol I love this idea, and I love that show!! Always make an exception to my gluten-free/dairy-free diet for cheese pizza!! :P But at least I don't have to compromise the worst part (the glutenous bread!).

*ok, not always, but the occasion doesn't really come up that much anyhow, so it is almost everytime now. :P

When DH was a teenager, he was an exchange student in Finland, up near the Arctic Circle, for three weeks. He says they served potatoes morning, noon and night - hashed, mashed, bashed, gashed, you name it ;) He got so tired of potatoes that one day, he asked the mother to make a pizza. He had to describe how to make it. He was so excited. And then - you guessed it - she put potatoes on the pizza! :ROFLMAO: I'm sure he ate his fill when he got home.
Too bad no one told the Irish in the mid 1800s, or they might have migrated to Finland instead of the U.S.:yum:

My Sicilian pizza dough has one, count 'em, one medium russet potato in it, to make it more fluffy, but it still has 3 cups of wheat flour.

Sicilian Style Pizza

Ingredients:

1 medium russet potato
3 cups all-purpose flour
1⅓ cup water
2 tsp kosher salt
1½ tsp rapid-rise yeast
3 tsp sugar
½ cup extra light olive oil
⅔ cup marinara sauce
2 tsp dried oregano
½ tsp red pepper flakes
1 cup parmigiano reggiano cheese
2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
Other toppings as desired

Instructions:

Place the potato in a medium saucepan and cover it with cold water. Bring the water to a boil over high heat and cook the potato until a paring knife inserted into the center meets no resistance, about 15 minutes. Squeeze the potato through a potato ricer into a bowl, discarding the skin, and allow the potato to cool at room temperature for 10 minutes. You should have 6 ounces of riced potato.

Combine the flour, salt, yeast, sugar, and 2 Tbs of olive oil in the bowl of stand mixer fitted with a dough hook. Add the water and mix on medium speed until the dough comes together and no dry flour remains. Add the cooled potato, increase speed to medium-high and mix until the dough is stretchy and smooth, about 6 minutes. The dough should stick to the bottom of the bowl but pull away from the sides.

Pour the remaining olive oil into a rimmed baking sheet and spread the oil over entire inner surface with your hands. Transfer the dough to the baking sheet and rub the top surface with oil until thoroughly coated. Cover the baking sheet with plastic wrap and allow the dough to rise at room temperature until it has spread out to nearly touch the rim of baking sheet, about 2 hours.

30 minutes before baking, adjust the oven rack to the middle position and preheat the oven to 550°F. Carefully remove the plastic wrap from the pizza dough. Using oiled hands and being as gentle as possible to maintain air bubbles, push and stretch the dough into the corners of the pan by pressing out from the center and lifting each corner and stretching it beyond the edge of the pan. It should pull back until the pan is filled with dough.

Spread approximately ⅔ cup of the sauce over top surface of the pizza dough with back of a spoon, leaving a 1-inch border all the way around the edge. Sprinkle the top of the pizza with half of the Parmigiano reggiano cheese, focusing on the edges of the crust. Bake the pizza in the 550°F oven for 5 minutes, remove it from oven, add any additional toppings, and spread the shredded mozzarella evenly over the surface. If you have extra sauce, dot the pizza with it in irregular spots.
Return the pizza to the oven and bake it until crust is well browned and the cheese is melted and lightly browned in spots, 10 to 15 minutes longer. Allow the pizza to cool for 5 minutes, transfer it to a large cutting board. If the pizza sticks to the pan at some point, use a spatula to carefully loosen it. Cut the pizza into 8 or 12 rectangular slices, and serve.

In catching "new posts" I discovered this topic, went to the linked site, and I'm intrigued.

One comment: the article is sub-titled, "Potatoes form both the crust and golden topping for this nutritious knife-and-fork pizza."

Another comment: not going to get into the fray about whether it's really pizza. That's like requiring all posts to be grammatically correct. The dish is whatever the author chef calls it unless it has the word "authentic" or "traditional" attached. Myself, I'd put this into the category fusion cusiine.

I really like the idea. I bookmarked it as a desktop shortcut. I hope I'll try it. Why? Just because it's different. I already make my own pizza. I can totally do that. But I ask you, how many recipes are there? Answer (IMO): infinite. In fact almost every dinner I cook is a little bit different than the last time I cooked it. Benefit or fault? Benefit! In fact I've heard restaurants and/or frozen dinner producers intentionally vary recipes so that people don't get tired of same old same old.

No of course it's not a pizza. It's a fusion recipe inspired by a different take on pizza. I like the challenge of doing something different, with the risk it may be lousy, but the benefit that it might be a unique, new, pleasurable experience!

You are so right Greg. Considering that we have members from all over the globe, I am amazed that so many of them do so well with our language.

Growing up in this burg, someone told me as a child, that "pizza" is Italian for pie. So if the originator of the recipe wants to call it Potato Pizza, then potato pie it is. How did that saying go? A rose by any other name......

As far as I am concerned, it looks like Delicious, Different, Unique are just a few names you could call it. But the originator of the recipe wants to call it Potato Pizza. So Potato Pizza it is.

39817-albums933-picture5810.jpg
What ever you may think.... this is a pizza. I spread mashed potatoes instead of sauce. I also like sliced potatoes on a breakfast pizza with eggs.

img_1500327_1_81cb17e21265385c94f2ec6388b2e373.jpg

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom